NOS and other preamp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots on this in the archives ...check it out. FWIW, I personally use NOS RCA and Mullards, in 12AX7s, AT7s, and 5751s, as well as current-production Tung-Sols (excellent, BTW). They are not the magic bullet, but can offer you some lattitude in "tuning" the amp to your taste ...trust yer ears :)

Edward

edward said:
Lots on this in the archives ...check it out. FWIW, I personally use NOS RCA and Mullards, in 12AX7s, AT7s, and 5751s, as well as current-production Tung-Sols (excellent, BTW). They are not the magic bullet, but can offer you some lattitude in "tuning" the amp to your taste ...trust yer ears :)

Edward

I have a couple of things to try. I have an old NOS RCA or two which sound good in other stuff so I figure with the boogies it would be good too. I have the Tung-Sols in my Bogner XTC and they are good in it for sure.

I really like putting 5751s in V1. Most Mesas have plenty of other places to get gain from later in the stack, especially if you use high-gain tubes, and it cuts down on noise.

Latest posts

Back