NOOB'STER POSTING: Mesa 50 Caliber Channel 2 Tone/Gain Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seth155

Reaction score
i've got an issue with the channel-2 on my Mesa 50 Caliber+
and i read from a dude on another forum that it might be a known issue with this particular amp.
my issue is... or really the AMP'S issue is that the tone knobs are almost all crapped out... but only on channel 2. and the amp's gain texture has totally crapped out as well.

it started with the mid tone knob on channel 2. and with the mid knob crapped out, the distortion texture went crappy as well. were it once was like a double-barrel Flame-thrower, the the mid knob went and the distortion textured turned into a tin can filled with mildly annoyed mosquitoes.

does this sound familiar to anybody?
i'm in desperate need of help on this issue. i've already taken it to 2 amp techs.
the first one couldn't figure out what was causing this issue.
the second one didn't even understand the amp's issue.

is this a common problem with the mesa 50 caliber? is there a know fix for this problem? i'd like to take it back to the first tech if there is a known resolution.

EDIT: but i got a V-twin to pick up the slack in the mean time :mrgreen:

Sorry to hear.

I own a .50 Caliber + and it's been fine, it's a sick amp, I've only read/heard nothing but good things about it and cannot say that what you are experiencing is common.

If I were you I'd call Mesa and get their feedback/advise, but more importantly, I'd bring the amp into an authorized Boogie repair facility, they'd get it fixed for sure.

They'd have access to the amps full schematics, they'd have tech support with Mesa and access to OEM parts. They'd also be more familiar with Mesa's in general and possibly the .50 Caliber + specifically.

Check to see who'd be your closest repair facility:

U.S. http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/locator/zip_search_r.php

Canada http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/can_select_2.php

International http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/Intl_serv_repair/Intl_service.htm

Not a specific solution, but a guaranteed as well as safe solution for you.

scottcrud said:
try replacing the preamp tubes, V-1,v-2,v-3 and v-5.

yeah, i've done that. didn't have any effect
the presence knob on channel 2 doesn't do anything either

i had the same prob on mine, it looks like indeed is as common issue.
the problems are on the octocouplers, you'll have to change'em.

it's not a hard job to do by experienced guys and is not costly at all.

Vigo1999 said:
i had the same prob on mine, it looks like indeed is as common issue.
the problems are on the octocouplers, you'll have to change'em.

it's not a hard job to do by experienced guys and is not costly at all.

wow thanks. i'm probably going to take it to a local mesa repair service on monday.
do you have any additional info about this?

Back