NOOB Help! Roadking 2 Master Volume Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently got a RK 2 and it seems that I have to dime the Master Volume on both CH 1 & CH 2 to get them to match the Master Volume levels on CH 3 & CH4. This in turn causes CH 1 & CH 2 to sound like crap and trying to dial in any gain on them at all makes them incredibly muddy. All tubes are relatively new have low hours on them.

Has anyone else had this issue? Why such a dramatic difference in volume? Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

What are you setting your channel masters on 3 and 4 to?

I have found to get the tightest distortion, keep the channel masters around 9-9:30.

I keep the gain on channels 1 and 2 pretty high which does have an effect on channel volume. I keep the channel masters only slightly higher on 3 and 4 compared to 1 and 2.

I've got the Master on Ch 3 and Ch4 both at 9 o clock. It's just that to get CH 1 & 2 to match that volume I've got to turn them all the way up and that muddies them up without even adding any gain.

I just can't figure out why there's such a dramatic difference.

Moby1 said:
How have you got your effects loop set up at the moment?

Good point.

Where do you run your gains on channels 1 and 2 as well.

For me I have channel 1 at 12:00, and channel 2 I have the gain almost maxed (I run this one in Brit mode)

You might call Mesa as well.

Yeah agree, I always have the gain up to atleast 12 o clock even on my cleanest settings. also try to bypass the effects loop I can't see you having a problem when it's bypassed. I personally like the solo feature and don't bypass the loop, just run the effects loop level on the back at about 1 oclock.

I am running a TC Electronic G System out of the FX Loop 1 so it is on in all Channels. Not sure if that has an impact or not. I actually changed CH 1 & CH2 from 2 to 4 6L6's and that seemed to help.

One other question..any good settings for CH 2 Brit Mode? I know this is supposed to be voiced like a Marshall but I'm just not getting that tone. I had it set on 2 EL34s and it sounded too thin and trebly. Not enough thick and creamy OD to it. Tried 4 6L6's and all I got was more headroom. Still thin and trebly even with the Drive all the way up.

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks again all!

Johnny Ballgame said:
One other question..any good settings for CH 2 Brit Mode? I know this is supposed to be voiced like a Marshall but I'm just not getting that tone. I had it set on 2 EL34s and it sounded too thin and trebly. Not enough thick and creamy OD to it. Tried 4 6L6's and all I got was more headroom. Still thin and trebly even with the Drive all the way up.

Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks again all!

Are you playing through a closed back cab?

I have recently rediscovered channel 2 Brit and have been using it more then any other channel

Here are my setting. It sounds best with my Les Paul Double Cut
2xEL34
Gain 4:00 to 4:30 (almost maxed)
Treble 3:00-3:30
Mid 12:30
Bass 9:30
Presence 12:00
Master 12:00 <--- Treat this as a secondary gain knob

Does the crunch stuff very well. Even handles the muted palm stuff nicely. It is the only distortion this thing kicks out that doesn't sound Recto.

If it isn't there you could try a little boost. I was using an OCD but found if I just turned the treble up, I got all the crunch I needed.

There is a big difference though with how this responds to the guitars
I don't now if you are familier with the Les Paul Double Cut, but it is probably closer to an SG then a standard Les Paul. Much lighter then a regular Les Paul, has 24 frets, has a Maple top like most Les Pauls. But add the light weight and maple top and it is a brighter guitar which really brings the crunch out

My ESP sounds good with Brit mode, but not nearly as good as the Les Paul. ON the flip side the ESP handles the thick stuff better

Thanks for the info!

Yeah the Marshall Jubillee I use is a closed back cabinet. I'll give your settings a whirl and see what I come up with. I just bought an XOTIC BB Pre-AMP so worse case if I can't get it out of the amp, I'll hopefully get it out of the BB.

Latest posts

Back