Non-Mesa Cab for Rect-o / Trem-o-verb?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dopefish76

Reaction score
Alright, I figure I'll ask the pros. I'm shopping for a Rectoverb head (I'll settle for a Tremoverb, I really want 50 watts though), but not too decided on a 212 cab. I'm considering the obvious 212 Recto cab, but I've seen heads for sale on eBay paired with Avatars, Marshalls, Oranges... What do you guys think? I was offered a Single Rec Solo and an Orange 212 (figure I'll fiddle with a Solo while I wait for a Rectoverb to show up). Dunno what Orange and Mesa sound like, any thoughts? Annnnd should I take the Solo 50 or wait for the 'Verb? Any differences in tone other than one with and one without reverb?

I LOVE the Mesa 3/4 back cabs - they come in 1x12 and 2x12 flavors. Such an awesome cabinet design! Sounds good clean and distorted. Some closed back cabs can have terrible cleans. I've seen others that are happy with Avatar, Bogner, Genz Benz, Marshall, etc... I myself will be trying to convert to a Stiletto Deuce head and recto 2x12 soon if I luck out. I've used either a combo, 3/4 back cab, or thiele cabs since I started using Mesa amps. The 4x12 I heard a Stiletto run through a while back sounded terrific, but that is a little overkill for me, so the 2x12 is the next best bet...

Also, I personally like the way a brand matched cabinet and head look, but there are probably better sounding cabs out there that are not Mesa.

I tried a Basson 2x12/Eminence Legends with my ROV and hated it.
Picked up an old Fender 2x12/Vintage 30's and it sounded pretty good.
Ran both of them together and it sounded freakin' incredible.
I've also got an old Ampeg 4x12 with V30's and it rocked with the ROV, so I'm going to suggest anything with V30's.
The Legends seemed like a good complimentary speaker, but I've never cared for them by themselves. (at least with the ROV)

I run a Roadster 1x12 Cab with my ROV and LSS. I am thrilled with the sound of that cabinet. It's ported in the back with a V30. I'd been running open back and 3/4 back cabs for many years and after playing thru the Roadster Cab for a while, I sold 'em. I can't see going back. Not exactly an easy cabinet to find a good deal on though. They seem pretty rare.

Griz said:
I run a Roadster 1x12 Cab with my ROV and LSS. I am thrilled with the sound of that cabinet. It's ported in the back with a V30. I'd been running open back and 3/4 back cabs for many years and after playing thru the Roadster Cab for a while, I sold 'em. I can't see going back. Not exactly an easy cabinet to find a good deal on though. They seem pretty rare.

Have you run the Roadster cab with the ROV alone or only in conjunction with the combo speaker? I'm reading the product description from the Mesa website and it sounds pretty good, but I don't want to make a decision based on marketing. I would go test it out myself, but the shops by me don't carry a lot of Mesa, just the usual suspects: DR's and 412 Recto cabs and the like.

Yes, when ran alone with the combo's power, it really tightens up the flab and projects better. It's a bit louder under the same power so it's more efficient. I've got a reasonable A.B environment as well as a V30 in the combo, so it's a fair comparison. It's completely captured my attention. I'm very happy with it. The 2x12 is unported so I assume it's a bit more of a mini-recto cab.

I have the over sized recto 4-12 cabinet but do not like it as well as I do other cabinets with my Tremoverb and dual rec solo head. I do like it with a VHT fat bottom 4-12 as well as the VHT Fatbottom 2-12. the cabinet I have that sounds the best with these amps is an old Kustom (not rolled and sparkle) 4-12. It has aclosed back but is ported in the rear panel.

I'm shopping for a Rectoverb head (I'll settle for a Tremoverb

going w/the T-verb wouldn't be "settling". i've owned both and man, do i regret ever selling my T-verb back in the late 90's. way superior to the rectoverb in my experience. i hear you on the wattage reasons though. but remember- 50 watts isn't "half as loud" as 100. both will be quite loud. good luck.

Latest posts

Back