Non bright tubes for 2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ecervantes

Reaction score
I hope that you can help me find a tube that is not bright sounding with good punch, focused lows and moderate mids that would produce a good chunky metal rhythm sound.

I have a quad of SED’s on side A of my 2:90 and a quad of Mesa Boogie 420’s on side b. I like this combination of tubes because channel A (SED’s) is bright and side B (420’s) is not bright sounding (maybe due to the fact that those tubes on side B are old now). The thing is that the combination is working great for me. It gives me a dual tone quality that I am enjoying and I want to be able to reproduce in the future when the time to replace my power tubes comes. I know I will be able to replace the SED’s easily (actually, I have a spare quad) but I am not sure I will be able to reproduce the tone of the old 420’s. What tubes do you think I could get that would do the trick?

All your suggestions will be greatly appreciated

If you like the 420s, get them. They seem to still be available from Mesa:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Accessories/Tubes/Vacuum-tubes.html

A lot of guys feel that the JJ power tubes are on the darker end of things too. Plus they're readily available and reasonably priced.

Latest posts

Back