Nomad 45 2x12 Reverb not functioning

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

decerebrate

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just got a Nomad 45 2x12, and the reverb is not working. It seems to be plugged into the amp, the knobs in back are turned on, and i have it selected with the footswitch.

can someone please give me some tips on diagnosing and fixing the problem? this is my first tube amp, so i'm pretty green.

thanks!

hey thanks a lot. i'm working 7 days a week for a while so i havent been able to go to the store yet and dont have other tubes (this is my first real amp...)

when i turn it on standby and look in the back, all of the preamp tubes, except one, dont look like they're on, but this one tube is really glowing (think its v1, its all the way to the right). does that sound like the bad one?

thanks,
decerebrate

Just because the heater doesnt glow doesnt mean it isnt working. Some tubes are like that. Best thing to do is replace them one at a time. If V1 is bad the amp wont work at all. For reverb, look at V4 I believe.

ok, well i looked at it with the lights off...all the preamp tubes except v1 glow a little, but v1 is lit WAY up. it looks weird.

i think i need to take it to a tech when i get a day off...its also making this really loud electric farting/zapping sound thats freaking me out.

i just need to find out whether i need to return it, or its just something simple that may have occurred in shipping...it was said to be in "excellent" condition, and the guy claims if anything is bad it occurred in shipping. i have verified that the tubes are seated..but thats about all i can do.

thanks for all your help

Hi there!

I leterally just joined and was looking to see what people had to say about the Nomad series and this was the first thread I looked at.

I have just finished putting back together a Nomad 55 I got from eBay and picked up earlier today, and the funny thing was it was advertised as the reverb not working (and hadn't done so for two years). So as soon as I got home I took off the back panel and took out the reverb unit, turned it over, and saw that one of the connecting plugs wasn't attached at one end of the plates the springs attach to. I reconnected it and bingo, it now works fine! It's a tiny connector (about 10mm long) with two small wires that leads back to the RCA socket on the chassis of the reverb unit itself - there's one at either end.

So before replacing valves, or taking it to a tech, spend five minutes grab a screwdriver and have a look.

It worked for me - hopefully it will for you!

hey thanks man i will check that out.

i guess initially i was freaked about the reverb (cause i didnt get a deal, i "bought it now"), but now i am really concerned about the electric zapping farting sound, and the fact that one preamp tube is really freaking bright. i will check that out, maybe it will fix it.

The Nomad is actually replacing a Laney LC50 II which of late has been making a lot of noise (my girlfriend says it sounds "windy"). I pulled out each tube one by one and it would appear that valves 1 and 4 are the culprits. I'm just waiting on the replacements to see if I'm right. Oh, they were all glowing equally - I don't think (as others have said) that this is a clear indication of anything.

I suppose whilst I'm waiting I could always swap in the tubes from the Nomad to see if that fixes the problem (better do as I've got to sell the Laney to pay for the Nomad!!!)................

Also thinking of doing the reverb mod that is elsewhere on this board - looks simple enough.

this is my first tube amp after wanting one most of my life but being broke :)

I always wanted a mesa, and i got tired of looking at cheaper crap get bidded up on ebay so i took the plunge.

i just want to make sure i dont get stuck with something thats defective...i still havent had time to try what you suggested yet...i have been working super mega overtime this month.

decerebrate,

It is quite possible that the tube that has the abnormal glow is causing your noise. It is worth the cost before taking it to a tech. It may have been damaged in shipping due to its internal structure. Looking at the Nomad manual it doesn't appear to have a tube driven reverb, at least not as they are labeled. If you don't have a manual you can download it here: http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Nomad%20Manual.pdf

Latest posts

Back