Nomad 100 - Switching to half power questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 4242

Reaction score
Greetings!

The Nomad 100 has a switch that the manual states will switch down to 50 watts, but the label on the switch on the actual amp says 60 watts.

Any idea which is correct?

I guess it is achieved by using 2 of the 4 power valves, making it 50 watts but I'd like it very much if some-one can comment.

When I switch down to 50/60 watts I plug my 8ohm cab into the 4ohm output which apparently keeps the sound similiar to plugging the 8ohm cab into 8ohm output when running on full 100 watt power.

Many Thanks :)

jonmy7 said:
Greetings!

The Nomad 100 has a switch that the manual states will switch down to 50 watts, but the label on the switch on the actual amp says 60 watts.

Any idea which is correct?

Actually, neither.
Now let me explain. The max. dissipation of a 6L6GC is 30 watts, where an EL34's is 25 watts, so on paper 2X6L6's are 60 watts, while 2XEL34's are 50 watts.

However, nobody runs the tubes in a class AB amp at 100% (red-plate city), and the wattage markings on the switch can be mis-leading.

Just think of it as full power, or half power. Believe me, 10 watts (50W vs 60W) will make no difference what-so-ever to your ears (remember, a 100 watt amp is only 3dB louder than a 50 watt amp).

Hope that helped,

Dom

That makes sense. It was just one of those things that bugged me.

As you say, the real life difference is not really an issue.

Back