Noisy reverb in MKIV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegold

Reaction score
I used to own a MKIV wide-body combo, with the Celestion.

I found the reverb was really noisy when it was used.
Some of you rock guys probably wouldn't notice it.
But I used to use that amp in a jazz big band and whenever it got really quiet the hum from the rverb became really noticeable. I would typically have the Master Vol for R1 pretty high to get the cleanest sound. the reverb was quieter with the Master Vol knob at lower settings.

When I contacted Mesa about it we tried swapping reverb driver tubes and a few other things. They even sent me a new reverb pan. I didn't bother installing the pan because I had gone to a local store and check their MKIV and it did the same thing as mine. So I fiigure, "Why bother?".

Do you other MKIV users out there find the same thing happening in your amps?
Are there any mods/fixes that guys have done?

Your talking about a MK IV A circuit with the 12AT7 driver.
Mesa does noy use this anymore as the reverb circuit was changed in the revision B( Late 1993) using a different circuit and a 12AX7 driver.
Mine is as quiet as a church mouse.

Boogiebabies said:
Your talking about a MK IV A circuit with the 12AT7 driver.
Mesa does noy use this anymore as the reverb circuit was changed in the revision B( Late 1993) using a different circuit and a 12AX7 driver.
Mine is as quiet as a church mouse.

Probably not, but maybe. I bought mine new in approximately 1997.

Did the A's come in the wide-body cabinet with the Celestion 90 watt speaker? That's what I had.

Latest posts

Back