Noise supressor w OCD & Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhguitar1

Reaction score
I just bought an OCD to run in front of my Roadster. It gets a little noisy with the volume turned up. Would a noise supressor take care of it? If so, what kind is recommended.

Thanks

Do you use the pedal or rackmount? If you use the pedal, should it be placed last in the chain going into the front of the amp? Right now I have a Wah, Tuner, and OCD going into the front of my amp. I will probably get the Decimator pedal. If I do, what's the proper order to run these pedals? If you run the pedal, what do you have it set at?

Thanks

according to isp, the threshold control on the decimator should be adjusted by listening to the noise floor while no instrument signal is present,the threshold control should be turned clockwise until the the noise floor becomes inaudible.it may be necessary to readjust the threshold with the guitar volume all the way on in order to accommodate the additional noise the guitar may induce.adjusting the threshold too far clockwise may cause the downward expander to attenuate the output level too quickly and not allow the signal to decay naturally. the pedal should always be the last device in the signal chain......anyhow i got the pedal and i like it much better than the boss,i may get another to run in the loop as well ,,,maybe i should have just bought the rack version!though i think its cheaper buying 2 pedals,helll some times i love alll the noise :wink:

+1 on the ISP over the NS2. do a search on youtube where someone A/B the two pedals; you'll see the difference.

The MXR Smart Gate is great too. It has different modes depending on your need - Hiss (for distortion pedal noise), Mid (for single coil hum), and Full (everything else). I like it coz it doesn't clamp down hard even in full mode. It is very unevasive and is 'smart' with what noise to filter. I suggest finding a used one. I got mine for like $40 shipped IIRC...

And, yes, put the noise gate at the end of the signal chain in front of the amp in most situations. If you use it in the loop it will get rid of noise within the amp itself - sometimes.

Thanks, I decided to buy a Decimator pedal. I am also going to try running an 18v adaptor into my OCD , so hopefully the ISP pedal will help control things.

If you're talking about this one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LQKP8FK6J-A&feature=related

The NS-2 actually works better than the ISP. I don't have a gate right now but I did have an NS-2 and it worked great. If I had to get another one today, I'd probably get the Boss again.

CudBucket said:
If you're talking about this one...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LQKP8FK6J-A&feature=related

The NS-2 actually works better than the ISP. I don't have a gate right now but I did have an NS-2 and it worked great. If I had to get another one today, I'd probably get the Boss again.

actually i'm talking about this one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZkB4csSmoRU&feature=related

the NS-2 sucks tone and the ISP does not.

since i have the noise gate out of my signal path when turned off (via axess GRX4 router) i don't have to worry about affecting the tone.

there's pros and cons with both pedals, but overall the ISP is the better choice, IMO.

That video is by the same guy that did the one I posted. I found the NS-2 to be more versatile and better in the loop.

CudBucket said:
That video is by the same guy that did the one I posted. I found the NS-2 to be more versatile and better in the loop.

same guy, but different option. the one you posted was when the pedals were turned off, the one i posted was when the pedals were engaged, and the NS-2 tends to suck some tone.

i had the NS-2 for many years, and it's a very good pedal, but the ISP does a better job and prefer that one.

don't get me wrong, the NS-2 is still a great pedal and will get the job done.

Latest posts

Back