No more 27" head or wide body 1X12 combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziehmrd

Reaction score
According to the 2011 Pronet price list, MESA isn't showing a 27" head or wide body 1X12 combo for the ED any more. Same for the Lonestar. Interesting.

I had heard that from my dealer a little while ago. I guess they are just trying to rationalise their range by dropping the least popular options.

Looks like they will just offer it in the 2x12 with V30's. Kinda lame as the 1x12 widebody kicks soo much *** with the MC90.

I have not tried the wide 1x12, but narrow one with the MC90 is great and would be my pick over the 2x12 V30 combo. Due to weight what I ended up with is the medium head and a 1x12 cab. I imagine it would come pretty close to the wide 1x12 combo since the 1x12 cab does not have to share its space with the amp chassis.

I had a widebody 1X12 combo for awhile and that thing sounded HUGE. They have the MC90 and a 3/4 closed back, just like the matching 1X12 extension cab. I noticed the 23" combo and matching cab have a more open back, like 3/4 open. I guess that gives you a bigger sound from the smaller cab but do you lose any of that tight bottom/bass projection?

There are always trade offs, but I don't think the short combo suffers much. The MC90's bass is a fair bit deaper than the V30 to start with. If the short combo had a closed back the bass would probably get very boomy though. I find with my rig that the bass is usually set sound 10:00 or it gets to much for me, even with the open back cab. I also have a 19" open back Express cab with a V30 and that does sound a lot smaller and noticably boxy side by side with the larger MC90 cab.

Latest posts

Back