No MIDI Channels switching on Mark V????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rabies said:
1) get a triaxis

2) if you return to mesa hollywood, a) tell them to f%&# off! and b) you get up to 7 days for store credit only.

In my defective stiletto case, I got a credit back to my card but that is typically an exceptional case.

"get a triaxis" - lame response

Uncle Muscles said:
I've just been playing for an hour - it is now after midnight - you could talk over the volume level - and all 3 channels - no sh!t - sound amazing. The 10 watt mode is just nutz. This is a very versatile amp.

I think I need to do another demo... :wink:

Maybe so. Since the start of this thread I've trolled the 'net looking for those modern MIDI switchable amps you spoke of. There really aren't that many as far as I can find. And are any of them gonna sound like a Mark series Boogie? Probably not. So my advice is to go send a stink bomb to salesman that thought that 7 pin DIN was a MIDI input jack, look into the various external options to make the amp MIDI switchable, and enjoy the WOW factor when you first get to take your Mark V to a gig and apply some of that great tone technology in front of an audience.

I am going to keep this amp and take all of the advice posted here. As I sort out the midi issue and solution - I will post a video showing how I finally figured it out and set it all up with my rig. The amp is just too good to let go. It's just... bad ***... 8)

I appreciate everyones advice here - and I look forward to any assistance in setting things up - because I am sure I will need the help! No disrespect.

Hey man, sorry if I came across a little harsh to begin with.

I've considered several methods of MIDIfying the Mark V over the last several weeks.

The Axess CFX4 is a good choice:
http://www.axess-electronics.com/sc/CFX4-Control-Function-Switcher-p-16136.html
You don't need the $50 Cable if you want to just use the four external switching jacks. This will give you control over Ch1,2,3, and also will let you turn on the solo boost and activate the EQ.

If you use the Cable I bet that they will be able to emulate all 8 switches on the Mark V footswitch.

Another option is the RJM RG-16. It can loop pedals and operate switches on amps. RJM also builds the Amp Gizmo which would do what we want.

Lastly, Voodoo Lab/Digital Audio Corp. build the GCX switcher/looper. It works similarly to the RG-16 but with less options. It only responds to MIDI CC messages, not PC messages. Some people don't like that.

There is a forumite, kiff who is building MIDI switchers as well - I have spoken to him and what he's building sounds promising.

For my rig I will require looping pedals in front of the amp as well as using effects in the loop. I will likely use Kiff's device, the GCX, or the RG16 depending on how much expandability I want.

This is a very interesting topic. I have been thinking a way to get different sounds using the MarkV. I currently use a boss gt6 to get a ring modulator/distortion/delay effect which sounds like a synth. Would it be possible to control the gt6 or a rack effects unit and the MarkV with these devices you have listed?

I just want the gt6 for a few sounds and will either get one of these boxes or go back to analogue pedals (delay, ring mod). The tones I use currently are distortion, distortion with volume boost for lead, the ring mod sound and a clean tone. Any advice?

I completely agree with madryan. I did the midi thing 10 years ago when I first got my Mark IV, and the Axxes CFX4 is a great little box - but I doubt I'll ever be plugging it in again. I'd need a much bigger pedalboard to support all the combinations of tones in order to switch on the fly. I'm thinking that with the Mark V's footswitch and my TC Nova System I'll be covered.

As for the CXF-4 It's cheap and simple enough to set up - but there are other options. Why have everyone pay for midi features in their amp, whether they want it or not? Come to think of it, I know lots of folks who look at my boogies and scratch their heads thinking "why would you want more than one channel?".

Bottle Rocket - I do find it interesting that this one feature sounds more important to you than the tones in the amp. What are your alternatives? I know there's Engl, Egnater, the Marshall 30th Anniversary Model... Laney...

madryan said:
...Only a couple of amps offer MIDI control. Personally, given that most people wouldn't utilize it, or that the amp is getting built into a MIDI rig already where a CFX4 will do everything you need, I'd just as well not pay the extra for the onboard MIDI.

I just ordered the Mini Amp Gizmo which ships this week from RJM ($259) and they are working on the Mark 5 cable for it which will be ready after they receive their Mark 5 in the shop. So problem solved thanks to all of you here on the board.

I personally am happy it doesnt come with MIDI, I have no need or desire to do anything with MIDI and dont want to pay for it. Please dont say that musicians who dont use MIDI are comparable to someone who s@&t's in an outhouse, there are plenty of people who just prefer to keep their rigs simple. I would be willing to bet there are more people who buy this amp that have no use for MIDI than people who want it by about 70-80%, that would statistically make you the "odd" one not us.

jimmyree said:
I personally am happy it doesnt come with MIDI, I have no need or desire to do anything with MIDI and dont want to pay for it. Please dont say that musicians who dont use MIDI are comparable to someone who s@&t's in an outhouse, there are plenty of people who just prefer to keep their rigs simple. I would be willing to bet there are more people who buy this amp that have no use for MIDI than people who want it by about 70-80%, that would statistically make you the "odd" one not us.

back up your statistics.

It seems that some here are under the misconception that internal midi switching is expensive, or unnecessary, or not in "spirit" with the original design or whatever... And I beg to differ. First off - it is not expensive. It is cheap. That is why many amps and pedals and keyboards and rack devices all priced well under $1000 use this option - or feature. Also it is not new - it is pretty standard for instruments to use midi with some sort of cheap memory chip since sometime in the early 1980's. It is actually ancient by technology standards - but whatever... It works and is reliable and, ahem... CHEAP to implement. Take a look at all the music gear that has midi switching on it in any music catalog to see what I mean. Nearly everything in Korg or Roland's website. So just because it isn't being used internally here - in this amp - which is the new hot **** piece of gear for this company - doesn't mean it couldn't be easily implemented. Remember - midi switching does not affect the tone, the sound characteristics or anything remotely related to your audio signal chain. It is just a way to send channel switching information. It is just a different way (slightly) than what is already in the amp now. Whether it would increase the price much - if at all is debatable.

Second, how do you know you would not use midi switching if it were offered to you like this:

The new Mark V has 3 sounds per channel and 3 channels. With our new Midi switching technology - you can store 3 settings Per channel and recall them at any time using MIDI - giving you 9 useable tones to chose from with your midi selector at any given time (3 per channel) - plus midi switchable reverb, EQ, Solo, and Mute. All able to be recalled at the touch of a button through midi.

You are telling me that the above scenario doesn't interest you? Right. That example is not actually what I was looking for - but just a sample of what could have been done with a bit of R&D. Then we wouldn't be STUCK with only one useable sound per channel like we are now. We could have 3 different sounds for each channel plus the other features. Truly a modern amp - or at least an amp with a foot in the current century.

Third - you didn't know what the price of the amp was until they told you what it was. So they could have said it was whatever they wanted to... and I would bet most people actually buying this amp would still have bought it regardless of price (within a few hundred dollars) - based on the sounds and features it offers. The price point for this amp is not entry level - or for the casual user. It is in the high end boo-teek user range and that makes a big difference. Because once you are at or slightly above the $2000 threshold - another couple of hundred is not as big a hit psychologically to this marketing group as it is when your price point is down well under the $2000 mark. If you don't believe this statement - just ask some of the other users here who have practical marketing experience. Yes, I am very happy that this amp costs what it does - in fact I think it is a steal- as opposed to a $3200 Matchless, 65 Amps or Cornford - all with LESS features... but I would have been just as eager to pony up the dough if they told me the Mark V amp was $2300 - because the amp is still - IMHO worth it.

As it is - I have my solution - a cheap workaround called the Mini AMP GIZMO which sells for $249 - but probably only costs $50-$60 or so in parts to actually manufacture. And now I can midi switch between amp features and channels and use my rack gear and a single foot controller. But **** it would be cool to be ale to actually use all the great sounds in channel 2 & 3 on this amp with the touch of a button. I am quite sure that is a feature many users would like - and pay for.

Let that hate and flaming begin.

The Triaxis has MIDI. Giving the Mark V MIDI capabilities would likely take away from Triaxis sales. This may have had something to do with the decision.

Uncle Muscles said:
.... because the amp is still - IMHO worth it. ...
Yup - it all boils down to opinions... I'm glad you're working out your midi issues though. I'm betting that when they come out with a Quadraxis that that'll fit the bill better for you though.

Uncle Muscles said:
Let that hate and flaming begin.
Nah... why bother, let's just agree to disagree ;)

Seriously though - the Mark V is not "high end boo-teek" - I'd call it high-end mass-produced. Inflation has this amp at the same spot it always was in the boogie menu - just before boutique amps started showing up. When I hear "high-end boo-teek" I think Trainwreck (right, try to find one to play on!), Dumble or Allesandro (i.e., options costing up to $50k). $2000 is the bottom-end of what I think of as boutique amps. I agree, the Mark V is a lot of amp for the money. What's more is within a year you might be able to find them at back-line companies...

Amps MUST have midi these days. It's just plain stupid to have to run a single cable for every function you want to control. Almost everyone has a GCX and/or GCP. With a Road King, you'd need to use almost all the loops in the GCX just to switch channels, reverb, solo, etc. One cable from the head to the GCX is the only way to go.

DaveDaveDave said:
Seriously though - the Mark V is not "high end boo-teek" - I'd call it high-end mass-produced. Inflation has this amp at the same spot it always was in the boogie menu - just before boutique amps started showing up. When I hear "high-end boo-teek" I think Trainwreck (right, try to find one to play on!), Dumble or Allesandro (i.e., options costing up to $50k). $2000 is the bottom-end of what I think of as boutique amps.

When yer right yer right. I was being gentle. Not a value judgement on the amp - just an economic flub on my part.

CudBucket said:
Amps MUST have midi these days. It's just plain stupid to have to run a single cable for every function you want to control. Almost everyone has a GCX and/or GCP. With a Road King, you'd need to use almost all the loops in the GCX just to switch channels, reverb, solo, etc. One cable from the head to the GCX is the only way to go.

Most of the guys I know don't use MIDI or have any desire to use it. I really like the fact that Mesa includes switching jacks and/or companies like RJM and others make special cables for their switching products. I have an AMP Gizmo for my Road King and bought the cable that RJM makes. It is one cable from the switcher to the amp. I find that it is a happy medium.

Latest posts

Back