No love for the Nomad?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lerxst88

Reaction score
seems like I'm the only one on here with a Nomad. anyone else got one? maybe we could get one of those model-specific forums?

Hi,

I have a Nomad 100 2X12. I love this amp. Like the DC-10 I used to own, I think this amp fits between the Mark and Recto lines. It has a sprinkling of both. I like the amp even more since I changed the effects loop from parallel to series. I use a Line 6 M13 hooked up with the four cable method. These two units sound great together. On the 100, I think the EQ helps a lot in shaping the sound, so you get a variety of different styles. I think we should have a section as well. There are at least three other people on the board, nomad100, koreth, and I can't remember the other person, who have Nomads. I am sure there are more.

Yeah i love my nomad too. its a 100 watt head and i have a recto 2x12 bottom. I went to the local guitar center to buy an F-50 but i couldnt deal them low enough so i was walking around the store and i found the nomad and i just had this feeling like i wanted to leave the store with something so i i bought that instead and lo and behold the nomad is louder, has more features, and has a graphic EQ! i think it was better i couldnt get the F-50. to make it even better GC threw in a new set of 6L6s for free! i really love my nomad and ive got it set up right now for a vintage kinda fender clean, a Phish/Trey Anastasio lead or Robin Trower rythm, and a John Petrucci/Dual Recto sound. this is a great amp and i guess thats why i wonder why you dont hear much about these anymore

i love my nomad as well, and use it with a 2x12 recto cab. I had a relay go bad and when it was in for repair the guy added an adjustable bias to the 6L6 bias, now it sounds even better. I to got a new set of 6L6's with my amp because every tube in the thing was shot. I actually prefer it's heavy sound to that of a rec

I'll have to play devils advocate here. While, I enjoy some of the sounds I can get out of my Nomad, especially with 50s and 60s US production preamp tubes, I think those of us who have and like Nomads and regularly talk about them are in the minority. There's far more people with Rectos, Stilettos and Lone Stars than there are Nomad owners. I'm not sure having 4-6 people out of what, a few hundred board members justifies a separate Nomad board section. That said, I might not mind a model-specific section for the Nomad. The less frequent posts about the Nomads might not get lost amongst the more frequent posts about Rectos, Stilettos and Lone Stars.

I think part of the reason the Nomad is not as popular is that it was supposed to be a jack of all trades, but unfortunately was a master of none. Chanel 1 is a nice warm clean or a slightly overdriven sound. The Lone Star does a better job of beautiful Fender-ish cleans and overdrive sounds. I've been told Channel 2 is a classic Boogie lead. The Mark series does a better job of those smooth, singing lead sounds. Channel 3 is supposed to be your modern high gain sound, but the Recto and the Stiletto do a better job of the American and British high gain sounds, respectively.

There's usable tones in a Nomad, IMO, else I'd have sold it already. You just gotta be really patient when turning those knobs.

I don't post here that often (as I'm really a Marshall guy), but I did a gig a couple weeks ago with my Nomad 100. It sounded as good as my Marshall SL-X.

The Nomad is indeed a great amp, though it did take some time to dial in the sounds I wanted. That's the biggest problem with the amp. When people were checking these out in stores years ago, a few minutes of tweaking in you local GC wouldn't of been enough time.

true the amp is meant to be super versatile and thus doesnt have the "best" sound compared to other amps, i think i works really well as a "first boogie" kind of amp. it works really well for me except its an old amp and ive heard some of the pots go bad (and i replaced a few already :x ) and its really annoying to turn knobs and have nothing really happen and not be sure if its a bad pot or the amp doesnt have as much flexibility there (im used to marshalls). however i will say the treble control is AMAZINGLY touchy. annoying at first but then super capale of finding sounds!

as far as being the minority on here, at least we're not the only ones right?

Defiantly took me a while to dial in the amp. Most tones are obtained by gain and treble changes first, then mids and bass. A lot of people prefer EL34 in it and those are biased hotter than the 6L6's without a mod. If agree the few nomad post get lost in all the others. I'd love to talk more about nomads with other nomad users. A sonic stomp also does wonders for the nomad.

I would love to see a forum for the Nomad too!

I have a 100 watt Nomad. I have a question. I have it set at 60watts. If I remove 2 of the power tubes can I drop it down to 30 watts without damaging the amp? Or does it already bypass 2 of the power tubes when you switch it to 60 watts?

Thanks for any help.

unfortunately no you cant. the amp already bypasses the two outside tubes so if you took them out nothing would happen. if you took out the middle two then you could get a 0 watt amp

it cuts the HV going to two of the power tubes to drop the power. You also need to change which speaker output your plugged into.

ok, that's what I thought. Thanks for the replies. BTW, I love the tones I am getting out of this thang! I have had a dual rec solo head and a 45 watt nomad and I prefer this one over them both. Great cleans on it too....

I have 2 friends that have 55 watt Nomad combos. One is 1x12 and the other has 2x12. They are both very happy.

Interestingly, they use entirely different settings and they sound like 2 different amps, but that's a salute to their versatility. :D

thats one of my favorite parts about my nomad is i can have channel 2 set to a phishy, trowery old marshall sound and then rip into metallica or dream theater on ch 3

yesterday i was experimenting and i had channels 2 and 3 on the modern modes with similar settings and it basically sounds like a loud and gainy recto on ch 2 and an articulate and focused Mk 4 on ch 3.

ive also gotten in the territory of a bunch of other amps:
clean and overdriven fender twin
plexi marshall
recto
mark 4
mark 3

i wonder how much this would cost if i used the real amps...

Hello chaps - new owner of used Nomad 55 here. :)

I read on Harmony Central in one of the reviews the following:

"Word of advice ? spring for the $130 bucks for the NEW footswitch!!! The old FU2 has buttons that are spaced so close together that you need to wear cockroach killers to change channels in the heat of jamming"

What footswitch is this fellow referring to and is it still available?

Thanks

P.S. love my Nomad... :)

maybe theyre refering to the mark series FU-2 footswitch which you can get from ebay or mesa boogie's website.

i would suggest saving that money and getting some nice tubes or a used cabinet unless you insist on stomping around like an elephant while you play.

My Nomad is my fav Mesa by a long stretch. I disagree with the notion that it does a lot of things but nothing well....no other amp gets me as many compliments than my Nomad 45.

I have a Nomad 100 Head running through a Lonestar 1x12 cab (MC90).

From the get-go - it smoked my Mesa Formula and Heartbreaker, and there's a lot of love for the Heartbreaker around (it just doesn't do it for me, though).

However, I really began to love the amp when I put a Tungsol RI in V1, Chinese in V3, and a Sovtek LPS in V5. The Tungsol brought out the chimey Fenderish OD tones of Ch1, and the Chinese gives the smoky and "grainy" classic Boogie lead tone out of Ch2. I run Ch3 with the gain at 9:00, with just enough clip for a wicked blues tone with neck pickups and a marshally classic rock tone with humbucker bridge p/u. If you don't use Ch3 like this, you may be missing out on what this amp is all about. I run both Ch2 & 3 in "modern mode" because there is more clarity to the tones than the darker "classic" modes.

I also have a really hot running Sed =C= in the outside pair of power tubes and the stock MB430's in the inside pair.

I find the best tones occur with the treble at about 1:30-2:00 position on most channels, and mids in the 12:00 or better with this tube compliment. What great tones they are. Agree that it takes a pretty fine ear to dial them in right, though. I thicken up the lower mids slightly with the 2nd and 3rd eq slider. This mics up well on stage and cuts through about right.

I run a NOS Telefunken in V1, a long plate RCA in V2, another longplate RCA in V3, a JAN Phillips 12AX7A in V4 and a Chinese Mesa tube in V5. I use Ei EL84's.

I play it through a Mesa Rectifier 2X12 loaded with a pair of Celestion Golds.

My Nomad sounds amazing

Latest posts

Back