No longer need Mesa email - Advice on changing grills!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herbie the Rad Dorklift

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wanting a wicker cane grill on my Mark IV, and I wish to email Mesa about it, except I can't find an email address anywhere!

Anyone have a correct email I could use? Preferably one that is a direct-to-someone address.

PM me if you can help :)

Thanks.

EDIT - Just need some advice or website help on changing grills!

Fax them if your schedule doesn't fit calling them; if you put an email address on it they will probably email you back. Be warned that they may tell you to go through your local Mesa distributor.

By the time it's all said and done you might just learn to make 'em yourself :)

I'm in England y'see.

And I can't go to my local bloke, he doesn't stock anything of the sort :(

I want the Mesa one because I haven't seen a Wicker Grill like it anywhere else (With the little holes) and they might have an offcut going cheap for a loyal customer :p

Haha....

So if I fax a US number from my work, will my work shout at me? :lol:

You might be surprised at how much one is , as it's a custom order !

About 6 months ago, I called Westside and they told me around £150 +
for my combo, and a wait of around 6 weeks to 2 months depending on shipping times.

Needless to say, I shopped around and found my local Craft supply store sold the same wicker/rattan for around £15, albeit without a frame, but that shouln't be too hard to knock-up.

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/shop-online/ready-woven-chair-cane.htm

lyn

Yeah, I noticed you're in the UK, that's why I suggested faxing.

Mesa doesn't really do email with Joe Customer. I have had them email tube diagrams to me, but only after calling them first.

Seriously man, build your own, it may take you a couple swings at it to get one that's as nice as factory but you'll still get it quicker and cheaper :)

Elpelotero said:

Thanks a lot :)

I think I'm going to try to knock up my own though.

Lyn, When you say "frame" what did you mean? Do I not just staple it inside the combo? I don't have my amp to hand, and I just thought about this ona whim really :lol:

Do I need to dismantle anything?

Any guides or walkthroughs would be great.

I would imagine you can just staple it, as you say.
Seem to remember there's an earlier post from someone advising on dampening the wicker first.

I never did mine, I went for a couple of custom Thieles with wicker grilles already in.

lyn

The grill should come right off with 4 screws. They may be in the back of the amp if you don't see them on the front.

There are about 1,000 staples holding the original one on. It takes a little time to get them all.

I use a tiny "Standard," or flat-head screwdriver that has teeth on the blade to loosen them. Then, I use a set of side cutters that are off-set at an angle. This makes prying very easy.

After you remove the original one, use it as a pattern for your new one.
Cut the new one out and then save the old one, just in case.

George, "GTS" says that it is easier if you soak the new grill. I think that is correct. I've done a few without soaking them and it is hard to line up and keep tight.

So, anyway, soak the new one for a while, until it is extremely ply-able.
Then, stretch it out over the frame.
I usually start on one of the longer sides, making sure that everything is as straight as it can be. I put about 1/2 of the staples in, or 1 every inch or so.
Then, I do the opposite side and stretch it as tightly as possible. Staple this side.
Then, do the other 2 sides.

Finally, after making sure that it looks the way I want it to, I staple the hell out of it.

Let it dry and you're good to go. Just saved a bunch of money and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself.

I also use 3/8" staples on the thicker grill cloth. Not sure what that comes out to in metric, maybe about 1 centimeter.

Just soak it in warm water in a clean bathtub or sink.

As for getting in the combo, my Mark IV (currently housese my DC-5) cab has the screws in front. 4 black ones with a silver washer.

If the screws are on the inside, remove the bottom piece of wood on the back. You should be able to reach them. The power transformer might be in the way of the upper left one though. If that is the case, you will have to remove the chassis.

Monsta-Tone said:
Just soak it in warm water in a clean bathtub or sink.

As for getting in the combo, my Mark IV (currently housese my DC-5) cab has the screws in front. 4 black ones with a silver washer.

If the screws are on the inside, remove the bottom piece of wood on the back. You should be able to reach them. The power transformer might be in the way of the upper left one though. If that is the case, you will have to remove the chassis.

Hmm.

If the transformer is in the way, I'd rather bodge something than break my amp by trying to take it apart :lol:

You can get the cane from any woodworking store, woodcraft comes to mind. The wicker is generally used for chair seats. It is pretty inexpensive and it is identical to what Mesa uses. Soak it in warm water for a few minutes, take it out and let it dry a bit. Lay it face down on a flat surface and put your frame over it. Take a pencil and outline your frame. Then take a metal straight edge on your pencil lines and fold the wicker towards a 90 degree angle, this will help when you staple it to your frame. Once the wicker dries it will shrink a little giving you a nice tight edge. The color will also darken a little bit giving it a more vintage look. This method has always worked for me without splitting the wicker when folding it over the frame. Good luck. Rich.

You can get the same wicker mesa uses at www.constantines.com like Monsta says,soak it for about 10 minutes before applying,it will tighten up real nice when it dries.

If your uncomfortable with doing it yourself, check and see if there's a local upholsterer who would be willing to help you out. I recently regrilled another amp of and went to the local mom & pop custom amp shop here and not only did the fellow have a spare piece of the exact grill cloth I was looking for he installed it for me when I brought in the blank baffle board. No charge! I ended up buying a Weber 12" speaker from him in thanks.

TD

After a while (years ) the wicker cane gets a nice amber patina . You can soak it in coffee ( or tea !) if you feel inclined to get that vintage look .. :D

Latest posts

Back