no class A/B with Mark V!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabies

Reaction score
I just read most of the manual today. There's class A in 45 watts, simul in 90 watts and class A in 10 watts.

So no class A/B only and that means you can only get marginally close to Marshall tone with 4xEL34.

Someone plz correct me if I'm wrong...

If the Mark V is anything like the previous Marks, the 'class A' mode is really just class A/B with the voltage squished down a little bit. It's a lot closer to A/B than A. Anyway, if Marshall tone is what you're after, why buy a Mesa?

b/c i like mark series as well and don't want or need to have more than one head/combo nowadays...

mark clean is better than marshall too. plus with the 4xel34 and recto tube, it's more attractive to me now than the mark iv was.

I really need to try one with 4xel34 is the bottom line (but don't have the cash to buy one now, so trying to avoiding GAS)

must say the manual is an entertaining and informative read, as usual.

I've used the Mark V on stage in 45W mode. Sure sounds like Class A to me. Lots of buzzy breakup in the tone at volume.

Quote from the Mesa Mark Five website:
"45 WATTS shuts down the middle pair of output tubes wired in CLASS AB and allows you to operate the output section in just the CLASS A mode for a perfect lower wattage range that clips sweeter and earlier, and yet is still plenty powerful enough to play out in medium sized venues. "

MeZadude 8)

rabies said:
must say the manual is an entertaining and informative read, as usual.

Yes, it is a good read. Every time I pick it up, I find something new and useful about the amp. I love the way they describe the feeling all the time. :)

rabies said:
I just read most of the manual today. There's class A in 45 watts, simul in 90 watts and class A in 10 watts.

So no class A/B only and that means you can only get marginally close to Marshall tone with 4xEL34.

Someone plz correct me if I'm wrong...
You can put 4 x EL-34s in a Heartbreaker. I believe the tone stack in channel two is post pre-amp, also Marshall-like. :)

Latest posts

Back