NGD -Just Toured PRS!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MesaENGR412

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just took a tour of PRS with my band today. It was awesome. I am blown away by the care they take in
producing their instruments. It was an awesome experience. Even though they have lots of cnc machining that
takes care of a lot of the carving of the bodies, everything is hand sanded and hand finished by professionals that
have take pride in what they are working on. Everyone was so nice, and we got to see everything from the body and neck
blanks of wood to some BEAUTIFUL finished custom shop Private stock models. I even got to play the 3rd prototype (first production version)
of the PRS 513.
DSC08354.jpg

DSC08351.jpg

Talked with artist relations and my band is now endorsed by PRS guitars. We play metal
so we went with SE Torero's with the EMG pickups and Floyd Rose Trems. Going to hopefully get some real deal PRS guitars in the future as well.
We'll be up on their site soon. Can't believe it really.

I just wanted to share that if you are thinking about buying a PRS guitar, do it, you will not be disappointed. Amazing quality, and
truly stunning guitars.

Here's what I got:
PRS SE Torero: EMG 81/85, Neck thru body(Maple w/ Mahogany body), Ebony fingerboard, flamed maple top, Floyd Rose Tremolo, 3 way blade switch
DSC08359.jpg

DSC08360.jpg

DSC08362.jpg

DSC08363.jpg

DSC08364.jpg

DSC08367.jpg

DSC08366.jpg

-AJH

That's really awesome. How do you like the Torero? It looks great. How does the neck feel?

I've kind of thought that it was a little expensive for an SE.

Congrats! :D Quick question though, what might be the purpose of that strip of electrical tape running across the springs, grounding and/or noise control?

Thanks so much guys, I appreciate it a lot! (I didn't post this to brag on myself, let that be known, I'm just proud to be a part of PRS. Don't want to come across as being a douche that thinks he's better than anyone else on this board....bc I'm not)

Turumbar82 - I like the guitar a lot, it plays just as well, if not better than my ESP/LTD MH-1000 and both of the my older MIJ Ibanez RG's.
The tone is really full, I don't know if this is due to it be a true neck-thru (maple neck, mahogany wings), or if the new EMG's have been redesigned a little, but this guitar sounds better to me than even the MH, which is less than a year old. The neck is a wide-thin profile, very comfortable to play, and the action is awesome (like all PRS guitars that I've played). Also, the ebony fingerboard is a really nice touch, gives it a little darker vibe (haven't seen another ebony board on another guitar for less than $1000 either). I think that this guitar is worth the price, it's built very well, better than all of the other SE line that I have played and seen (which is almost all of them) very nice fret dressing, all smooth and very nicely polished, and the binding has no "bad spots" or shoddy looking pieces. The flame top is really nice looking, actually got to pick this one out of a group that they had at the factory, so that was kinda neat. I would say check one out if you get a chance and are looking for a metal guitar, and want something different than Ibanez or ESP.

JCDenton6 - I use the tape to silence the trem springs, so that they don't rattle/jangle when we do choppy, stop-start parts in songs (i.e. breakdowns and all that garb). Kinda took the idea from Steve Vai, except he uses tissue paper to fill in the trem cavity and then tapes it all up. Mine's a little less elaborate, because I sometimes still have to adjust the screws, and that'd be a pain lol.

-AJH

Congrats on the endorsement deal, PRS makes some killer stuff. I've been playing them since "92 or so and I'm hoping to get a new/used one when I get rid of my Electradyne. I'd love to check out the Torero one day soon, they look really nice. I'm not really much of a FR type guy, I'm very happy with the PRS trems, but it is nice to see them finally making a guitar for all the FR guys too! I've seen the new Custom 24 FR guitars too but they are a bit pricey for most folks so yours should fit in nicely with the rest of the PRS lineup.

How did you like the 513 you played? I had one for about a month before I traded it for a Bogner XTC and it was a really nice guitar that I wish I could have kept, but it was either the amp or the 513 and the XTC won out. I will own another one very soon.

Thanks High Gain, yeah, some friends of mine have owned, and some still own, PRS guitars, and they're just so solid. The thing I like most about them is probably their super low action. You can basically breathe on the string and it will fret, making the guitar super easy to play, even with thicker strings. The PRS trems also seem very stable, but the one thing I really like about the floyd is that it's routed out for up-pulls, so I have do satch-esque "up bombs" AND dive bombs lol. I wish they'd do on the Custom 24 what they do on the Tremonti model, routing it for up-pull capabilities. Might be able to request it, we'll see. The nice thing about the Torero is that it seems to be a bit nicer build quality than the lower SE models, with some aspects of higher priced guitars (great playability, neck through, ebony fingerboard, flamed top, full binding, 24 frets, real floyd rose), but it's still pretty affordable, unlike some 3-4k PRS guitars ( I know I don't have an extra 3g's to buy one right now).

The 513 was nice, very beautiful. It was HEAVY though, felt like a non-hollowed out 9lb. Les Paul lol. Didn't get to hook it up to an amp, but, it felt really nice, and the rosewood neck was silky smooth.

thanks a lot for the info on the Torero. I'm glad it lives up to the hype. I've been really interested in them since I heard about them. I think this might have to be my next guitar.

A little late on this but I'd also like to say congrats!

I've been a proud PRS user non-stop for the past 11 years. The best all around and nothing more I could ask for.

~Nep~

Thanks so much! PRS guitars are so awesome. Congrats on owning those that you have. Every night I play this Torero and I fall more in love with how it plays and sounds. It's like the thing was custom built to my specs...so crazy. Now I can't wait to get a real deal USA made Tremonti Model.....but for now I couldn't be happier with the SE Torero, imho it slays both my Ibanez and ESP LTD guitars.

-AJH

How does the neck joint feel? I looked at one and the neck joint was huge, the rest was great but the joint felt strange. I have no idea how to describe it but it was thin neck with a joint that was bigger than the rest of the neck.

FFFDFEFRFKFFF said:
How does the neck joint feel? I looked at one and the neck joint was huge, the rest was great but the joint felt strange. I have no idea how to describe it but it was thin neck with a joint that was bigger than the rest of the neck.

On the Torero or the 513? The Torero has neck-through construction and the neck heel is shaved down like on neck-thru ESP's. It's very comfortable to play, and the access is unhindered all the way up to the 24th fret. The neck shape is definitely different than the ESP's though, to me, it's a little bit more comfortable, and it fits my hand really well. Not too thin, not too thick. I can't really remember the 513's neck joint, but nothing on it struck me as feeling un-natural for the 5 minutes that I got to play it. The neck shape on the 513 was a little more beefy, but still had a nice, and comfortable shape.

-AJH

Sorry, I meant the Torrero. The one I played had a larger neck joint than normal. Like it started around teh 17th fret or so and grew into the body so it wasn't like a Gibson, it was bigger and made it nearly impossible to play really high up because it was like gripping the body rather than a neck. Maybe I just need to look at it again as it has been a while since I played that one.

Back