newbie - Two Channel vs Three? Older rects vs new?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kk

Reaction score
Mark IV owner looking into buying a dual rectifier.

I played a three channel dual rectifier at GC today. I liked the tube setting more than diode, so I think I will rule out the single rectifier. Not sure I need the power of the triple rectifier, so that leaves probably will leave the dual.

Liked the cleans on channel one. Suprising headroom when set to clean.

Really dug channel three. Very tight, responsive gain structure as opposed to the searing leads that come from the mark iv (I love those too, just different)...

Couple of questions for you vets.

Which two channels of the three make up the two channel duals? Aside from that, Any preference between the two channel and three channel heads?

Also, I have read a few threads talking about older recs being far superior to new... is this really the case?

2 channel:
Orange channel:
clean and vintage hi-gain

Red Channel:
Vintage hi-gain and Modern gain

You can also clone the channels so that Orange can do the Modern thing, etc.

3 channel:
Green ch:
Clean
Pushed

Orange channel:
Raw
Vintage
Modern

Red ch:
Raw
Vintage
Modern

As far as differences, it is really personaly preference. Many of the folks trying out the older heads are liking them for these reasons: clearer sound, better leads, more organic tone, smoother, tighter, lots of attack.

HOWEVER, there are equally as many people that prefer the newer 3ch heads for reasons of their own. You have to try these things out extensively to understand the differences and know which is for you.

Latest posts

Back