Newbie nedding info on Mesa Express

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson08

Reaction score
Hey everyone(yes I am new) Normally on TGP but good luck getting answers on Boogie stuff. I have been a Boogie owner in the past, DC-5 combo, Heartbreaker head, Tremoverb head(miss that one), LSS 2x12 combo, and have been without a Boogie product for too long!! First on the list is a small grab & go type amp with great sounds. I was at the local GC yesterday playing (for about the 5th time) a 5:25 combo and I just cant say enough how much I like that amp!! Fantastic cleans(def needed) And lots of gain and sustain on the dirty side. I remember my DC-5 not having any trouble doing metal but the 5:25 does not seem to quite get there or maybe its just me(not knowing the proper tweak) Maybe I should be playing the 5:50?? Anyone who has input feel free to share it as I am open to all suggestions!! Thanks!!

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=27315

We've just been talking about this very thing, I have the 5:50 and it does 80's metal very well, I use a MT-2 in front when I want a little more. I thought about going with a higher gain Mesa but could not get over how insane the cleans were on the Express.

Skully said:

We've just been talking about this very thing, I have the 5:50 and it does 80's metal very well, I use a MT-2 in front when I want a little more. I thought about going with a higher gain Mesa but could not get over how insane the cleans were on the Express.
What would be your next choice?? Are the 5:25 and 5:50 the same preamp? just different power section?? You can get metal without MT-2? And whose metal??

gibson08 said:
Skully said:

What would be your next choice?? Are the 5:25 and 5:50 the same preamp? just different power section?? You can get metal without MT-2? And whose metal??

I'm not sure on the Pre amp.. the power section is EL84's vs 6L6's but you probably know that. I would say that you can get 80's metal with it, IE Iron Maiden, Preist..etc without any pedal. I would compare it to a JCM 800 type of gain, if that makes sense.. IMO

Sounds like i should be trying out the 5:50 then, Priest, Sabbath is what I mean by metal, so that sounds like it. Thanks

gibson08 said:
Sounds like i should be trying out the 5:50 then, Priest, Sabbath is what I mean by metal, so that sounds like it. Thanks

if thats what your after in terms of metal the 5:50 should be right up your alley. i found with an OD like the OCD or the MI Audio Tube Zone you can conjure some nice metallica type heaviness. the tube zone will most definitely get you into recto territory but like its been said you get some of the best cleans mesa has ever produced... i say that as a proud roadster own who thinks his cleans are **** good :lol:

to be honest with you i've been considering the 5:50 as sort of a jam amp i can lug around to different jams and friends houses (**** if it was small enough i'd bring it on business trips with me). when i have some money clear up (just bought a new prs) i will most definitely be considering the express 5:50

As I've said before on this forum the word "Metal" is a totally subjective one when talking guitar tones. I don't call Sabbath or J Priest or AC/DC "Metal". They're just 70's, 80's hard rock to me.

What I call "Metal" started with bands like Metallica and has moved thru to Nu-Metal like Pantera, Slipnot etc. Very high gain and mid scooped like a cranked Recto.

The 5:50 will do hard rock well unassisted but doesn't do what I call "Metal". I've cranked it with a closed 2x12 Cab, a Gibson SG and an MXR EQ pedal to mid scoop it and it stops short of "Metal". Not enough gain IMHO. It has 6L6 tubes and probably need another preamp stage.

The 5:25 has similar amounts of gain but different voicings to the 5:50 with it's EL-84 tubes. Its 10" C90 speaker sounds a bit boxy compared to the 5:50 too. Lacking in bottom end. The 5:25 is the ultimate small venue grab and run amp though but I'd go the new 12" speaker model over the original 10" one. I haven't heard it but I imagine it would have a fuller tone to the 10" one. Although the 5:25 is a smaller box to the 5:50 too so there's no compensating for that.

Hi Gibson,

I bought an Express 5:25 last summer, when the 1x10 rather than the 1x12 was available. I love it for its portable frame, versatility and great tone. I wasn't shopping for a Mesa when I bought it, but I kept returning to play it while trying out other amps. IMO, the quality of the tones really stood out on this amp. It gets monster tone for a little amp that I cart around to different places to jam with buddies. I can practice at home-friendly volumes, yet crank it up and be heard through a mix or at jams with buddies. The controls are responsive and easy to use, especially once the manual has been studied.

I agree with Skully, Jdurso & Newysurfer re: the Express' ability to get old school metal and hard rock tones out of this amp without the aid of a pedal -- although I would enjoy a friendly debate with Newysurfer over the definition of hard rock vs metal, what he says about the Express' abilities is correct. :)

Well....

In my opinion I can dish out any sound blues/jazz/metal/death metal whatever.

The express 5 ; 50 is a very sensitive amp. It really depends on what guitar you have.

I have a pacifica 612 with a seymour JB humbucker for my metal stuff, along with my dimarzio equipped strat. I can only imagine an emg'd equipped guitar sounding even heavier.

Now Im very satisfied with the distortion. You really need to take whatever guitars you have and see what works etc.

We had a long debate whether express can do metal or not....some agreed...some didnt....everyone has different taste. No one only you can decide whether the distortion is heavy enough.

I proudly own an express 5;50 2x12....and with my rig at least....I CAN PLAY ALL THE METAL HITS OUT THERE!!!!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!

The morale :
Try before you buy.

I jammed on an Express 5:50 today for about an hour at the store that I work at. I used a guitar that I built and man did that amp/guitar combination sound amazing! I'm anticipating my DC-5's arrival, but in the event that it doesn't work out to my liking, the Express 1x12 is my amp of choice!

It sounds like I will be trying the 5:50 this weekend, Def cant keep up with the musical genres anymore as they keep chnaging and subdividing, back when Sabbath and Priest came out and were in their prime the music was referred to as Metal Or Heavy Metal, anyway if it will get that nasty you are only a pedal away from Metal-lica!! I think the Express series will make a perfect easy to carry jam amp!!

Of all the amps I've heard and played through, the 5:25 (1x12) is just about the best sounding amp of 'em all!

guitardirky said:
i love my express 5:50 long head. i can dial in anything i need too.
What are you playing it thru?? What kinds of music are you playing??

jdurso said:
to be honest with you i've been considering the 5:50 as sort of a jam amp i can lug around to different jams and friends houses (sh!t if it was small enough i'd bring it on business trips with me). when i have some money clear up (just bought a new prs) i will most definitely be considering the express 5:50

That's exactly what I use my 5:50 for.
It sounds great, even without pedals, for any type of music that a 45 year old like me would want to play. Considering that I graduated high school in 1981, that would include Judas Priest and Black Sabbath.

I have a 5:25 10" which sits on a EV Thiele, with a GSP 1101 in 4C method and find it amazingly satisfying to play. I am a big JP fan and can nail some of his tones with my MkIV, but I started to play Damage Control the other day on the 5:25, and although not exactly like the original the 5:25 felt very good indeed. Quite surprised me.

OK so I went back to GC again today, and its a tough decision, but it looks like the 5:25 w/12" speaker wins outright!! I really dig the EL84s, they just sing with incredible sustain, not quite as beefy sounding as the 5:50 but extremely close, so I am now looking for one of these, will try to pick up a CLEAN used one first, if not I will buy a new one, I must give honorable mention to the Stilleto Ace!! If it had reverb I would probably look for one of those because I think I may have actually liked the dirty channel just a little more(more options) and that one is a little heavy as well.

Just wanted to let everyone know that I bought a 5:25 Express and so far I am very happy with it, this amp does get metal tones with no trouble actually, amp sounds great cranked up as well!! Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I bought a 5:25 Express and so far I am very happy with it, this amp does get metal tones with no trouble actually, amp sounds great cranked up as well!! Thanks for all the advice!!!!

Latest posts

Back