Newbie MKIV Story

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixn4him1

Reaction score
OK first off thanks to everyone that contributes to this page. I have been visiting and researching for some time now as I have been shopping for a new amp. I thought I wanted a Roadster after all the research since I use to have a Tremoverb and really liked it. I knew the Roadster was a different beast but at least in the same vein. Well one popped up at my local GC used and I got to spend some time with it this past weekend. It just didn't do it for me, to recessed and veiled sounding, never got up and in your face, may have been tubes but felt very disconnected from the guitar.
WELL guess what had just came in as well sitting just next to it, a MKIVa combo with the hardwood cabinet in great shape. Guess what was sitting next to that? A Green Strip MKIII simul-cast Combo! What are the chances these 3 amps would be next to each other at the same time ??? Well needless to say both MK's sounded night and day better then the Roadster and completely different as expected. Now I was in a real hurt could not decide which MK was for me.
I had to leave and recover from that much tone time, came back later that evening and took both MK's in the loud room and proceeded to have at it. What I noticed was they were not that different; MKiii more Raw, MKIV more compressed and more versatile. What was really interesting was when I starting plugging up cabinets to these combos did the differences jump out.
MKiV LOVED the Bogner V30 4X12! Open, in your face, very dynamic and very connected sounding and feeling. MKiii not so much till I found a MATCHLESS cab with Greenbacks in it. Now we were talking! Same thing open, dynamic RAW and very connected. Spent about an hour going back and forth tweaking and adjusting and flipping switches.
After a good night sleep I have to say I bought the MKIV! I just love the versatility and tone , I have always liked a good broken in V30 and the MKIV just seems to like it also. They both are fine amps and I would have been happy either way but the kicker was that Hardwood cab and wicker grill. The MKiii was priced a little high but it had the EV and a roadcase. I did not need the roadcase and have never really liked the EV in a combo, but I truly loved the opportunity to have these two amps side by side and bask in all that tone!

Hi my name it Curt and I am a MKIV Addict !!

PS the MKiii is awesome and still at GC in Matthews NC.

Welcome to the Mark club, Curt. 8)

Mark Series vs. Roadster = Mark by a LONG shot. Good choice!

You were definitely playing similar sounding amps, though...[Mark III green vs. Mark IV]. So, I can see where the versatility(+hardwood cab) might have won you over. They're both beasts of an amp for sure and you came out with a sweet amp regardless. Anyways, enjoy your amp and look forward to reading some posts about it! Take care.

Is this your first Boogie? Welcome to the fold! Glad you found your amp, Mesa's are indeed so incredibly versatile you'll spend forever tweaking and exploring "your" sound! There is a wealth of information here on anything you need Mesa related.

Not my first Boogie by any means but for sure my fav so far. My first was a Non Eq Studio 22 in 1987. I bought brand new from a local dealer back then and loved every minute I played on that amp. Since then have had a MKiii, Tremoverb and another Studio 22 which I think is one of the best amps ever made. Really wanted to have 3 channels so MKiv is the one for me now..

mixn4him1 said:
Not my first Boogie by any means but for sure my fav so far. My first was a Non Eq Studio 22 in 1987. I bought brand new from a local dealer back then and loved every minute I played on that amp. Since then have had a MKiii, Tremoverb and another Studio 22 which I think is one of the best amps ever made. Really wanted to have 3 channels so MKiv is the one for me now..
+1 on the Studio 22. I got to play one a year ago and thought it gave a non-C+ Mark II a run for its money. Definitely one of the best grab-n-go amps out there!

dodger916 said:
mixn4him1 said:
+1 on the Studio 22. I got to play one a year ago and thought it gave a non-C+ Mark II a run for its money. Definitely one of the best grab-n-go amps out there!

Tons of gain! You gotta love the EL84.

mule#1 said:
You gotta love the EL84.

I'll second that. I've gotta try out a Studio 22 when I find someone here in Bama that has one... I've got a Tiny Terror, and I won't lie, it burns a candle next to the Mark III. It's a bad little amp with the right tubes and speakers.

Back