(NEWBIE) How do I open up my 2x12 cab?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itgoesto11

Reaction score
I don't want to damage it, but I have tried taking the grill cloth off and i have also tried unscrewing the back. I can't seem to get the thing open without possibly denting the wood. It's built like a friggin' tank!

fyi, i am trying to figure out a noise coming from my cabinet. it is either a torn speaker or somehow the wood is rattling somewhere. My friend has the exact same problem with his 2x12 (both rectos).

PLEASE HELP!

On my Recto 4/12, I took the screws out of the back to remove the back cover. It's in there good, but should come out! Of course, the wires will be connected to the jack plate, so don't yank it off! I once thought a speaker was blown! Turned out, a couple of the jack plate wires had twisted and were in contact with eachother, causing the funky noise! Aligned the wires, tightened the jacks, and all's good!

First remove the screws holding the back cover on. Then remove the screws holding the jackplate on. Reach through the hole where the jackplate was to give yourself a way to hold on to the back panel. While holding the jackplate and wiring in one hand give the back panel a little yank with the other hand but be careful not to pull too hard or you will rip your wiring out. As soon as you get the back panel off pass the jackplate through the hole so you can set the back panel aside. If your jackplate does not fit through the hole then reattach it to the back panel then place the back panel close to the cabinet so you do not tear your wiring out.

As far as removing the grille goes I have yet to remove a front grille from one of those cabinets yet.

sounds reasonable. i thought about doing that earlier, but since i got this beauty (yes, it is awsome) on ebay it turns out those connector plate screws are stripped. oh well...i didn't want to force the issue without knowing that was the best route.

any bets? ripped speaker? vibrating wood? or other explanation?

two different cabs. two different heads. only audible with a microphone.
i refuse to believe this cab can't handle high powered low notes!

itgoesto11 said:
two different cabs. two different heads. only audible with a microphone.
Well then, how 'bout the monitors your listening to for the mic'd sounds? Something in the mixing/recording process? Too much signal? Bad mic/cable? Something rattling in the room, being picked up by the mic? How 'bout the drum set? You can always blame it on the drummer! :lol:

blaming the drummer is the answer for almost everything! but in this case we have miked both cabs in the studio and in the rehearsal space. that means different mics, different monitors, different everything! same problem. great ideas though!

well, i am off to open this thing up. i'll let you know!

itgoesto11 said:
blaming the drummer is the answer for almost everything!

+1 million five-hundred eighty-two thousand six-hundred and seven point eighty-five...just felt like typing it all out, but yes, if anything goes wrong in our band, we always blame the drummer mainly because it's normally his fault :x hahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-AJH

I have some good answers for you!

First of all, to take the grill cloth off of a closed back 2x12 recto cab you first need to take the back panel off. You will need to take the connector plate off to do that, but then you will have to remove 7 screws from the baffle that go through the baffle to the wooden grill cloth frame.

ok, so the noise i was hearing was the wooden grill cloth frame rattling against some screws. It is only audible when i mic it, and you can guess how loud i was playing! but the next step is to put some material between the screws and the wooden frame- i will probably try felt.

so there you go! i am just glad it isn't a speaker tear or cracked wood!

Latest posts

Back