Newbie here :) Single Recto 50W, coupla Q's plesae

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PK

Reaction score
Hi people! I'm new here, and new to Mesa. I bought a 50W single Rectifier and I'm loving it :). I have it atop a Marshall JCM800 1960 lead, and I'm undecided about exchanging the Marshall cab for a Mesa cab. I'm thrilled with my clean, but I'm not sure if the different Ohm's are F'n with 2 of the OD modes. With toggle up and center position the tone is a bit muted. Is this normal? Toggle full down it's unbelievably crisp and great. Any guidance/opinions/help appreciated. Thanks in advance,

PK

Congrats and welcome aboard!

What do you mean by "toggle"?

As to the cab, it all depends on what you like. My opinion is that Mesa cabs are the best constructed cabs on the market. Construction really does make a significant difference in tone. Lastly, rectifiers were designed using rectifier cabs, so one can only assume that the amp will sound its best with the cab it was designed to go through.

My .02. Dump the 1960 cab. I'm assuming it's an A or B with G12T75 speakers in them. These speakers kept me away from Marshall for years and I personally think they are too bright. Go with the Rectifier or Stilletto cabs. Even if it's a 1960AV/BV the Mesa construction is so much better.

Here's a tip... No one wants to ship speaker cabs. They do not hold their value. Avoid major name guitar stores, watch Craigslist, this board, Harmony Central, and maybe even fleabay for local pick up. I'd say if your patient you could find a stright and slant rectifier or stilleto cab for the cost of new and it will most likely be broken in.

There is a notible volume drop between Raw and Vintage before you get to the pucnk of modern. Just drive the output and master volume a little harder.

When switching to "Modern" mode, the amp's negative-feedback circuit (which in part, dampens speaker movement) is removed from the signal path, so a big jump in volume is normal and is part of the amp's design.

As for the cab...well tone is subjective and everyone wants something different, but the general consensus (and I agree) is that the G12T75 speaker is not a good match for the Recto. V-30s seem to be the way to go, or a mix of V-30s with the 75s, C90s, CL80s, or EVs. Whatever speakers you decide on, there is no doubt that the Mesa cabinets (and a few others as well) are clearly better in terms of build quality and durability vs the Marshall.

I just picked a single recitifier up also. It sounds great with a Bogner V30 1x12 or 4x12 cab. Alos nice with an old Mahsall 4x12 w G1280's. I'm not fond of the G12T75 speakers. You might be able to get a good deal on an avatar cab.

Latest posts

Back