Newb Question about Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpoon

Reaction score
After trying out some Boogies for the first time (which i loved) i was wondering what the difference is between a Mark IV Amplifire and a Mark IV head? Amp:
Mesa%20Boogie%20Mark%20IV%20Holz%20B.jpg
Head:
tn1_5468541.jpg
What is the difference bettween these two aren't they both the same. Sorry for the newb question

The combo has a speaker the head doesn't. That's the only difference.

The head would require you to have a speaker cabinet to hear it. The head is lighter for this reason and more easily transported. Because you are not subjecting the tubes to direct soundwaves in the head the tubes will typically last a little longer.

The combo has its own speaker but you can still disconnect the speaker and connect whatever speaker you like provided that the ohm load was correct. The combo can weigh up to 40 more pounds depending upon the speaker that you choose to house in the amp, ie. EVM-12L. Though your tubes will be subjected to soundwaves and die sooner it is nice to have a combo if you like everything in one box.

Resale value will be determined by current market trend. Sometimes the heads are more desired while at other times the combos are. For that matter, the rackmount can be the desired choice. It just really depends upon what is happening and who needs/wants what.

In the case of the two that you posted, I would have to say that the hardwood with the wicker grille would be more expensive.

Do not forget that you can also opt for the widebody.

There are also differences between the original A version amps and the newer B version heads. Read through the posts and you should be able to answer any other questions that you have.

Back