NEW VIDEO: Dual Vs Triple Rectifier A/B Comparison

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaggertysMusic

Reaction score
I frequently get asked what the differences are between the Dual and Triple Rectifiers, so we produced this video to hopefully help some decide which amp is best suited for them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-txiKWJt6M

This video will show you the differences, although subtle, between the Boogie Dual and Triple Rectifiers. Although a surprise to many, the Triple doesn't have extra gain or any fundamental tone differences as the preamps in these two amplifiers are exactly the same. The Triple boasts a 150 watt power section which adds some extra headroom and produces a bit more "grunt" in the low mids.

The first tone we compare is using Channel 1 - Clean. From there we move into Channel 2 - Raw, Channel 2 - Vintage, and finally Channel 3 - Modern.

Feedback, constructive criticism, and suggestions for future videos are always welcome. You guys always come up with good ideas!

They pretty much sounded the same. Only difference I heard was on channel 2/vintage. The one with the diamond plate sounded a little clearer/brighter.

Great comparison!

The Triple sounds like it's in a higher resolution with more detail. Sort of like the audio equivalent of changing the default resolution of your youtube vid to the highest setting 720p (at least on my pc). A natural extension of that... :D

nice job. Was the power section being pushed? I wonder if they still sound similar. The dual sounded more scooped on channel three to me.

b0nkersx said:
Was that first song "A Pillow of Winds" ? Sounds good

Yep! :D

nice job. Was the power section being pushed? I wonder if they still sound similar. The dual sounded more scooped on channel three to me.

The power sections were definately being pushed. The loop was turned off and the master on Channel 3 was at 10:00 or 11:00. The other channels and modes volumes were set to match that, so it was quite loud. I was the only person who could stand being in the room because I was off to the side of the amps... everyone in front of them scattered. Haha. :lol:

Care was taken to match the channel settings also.

The power sections were definately being pushed. The loop was turned off and the master on Channel 3 was at 10:00 or 11:00. The other channels and modes volumes were set to match that, so it was quite loud. I was the only person who could stand being in the room because I was off to the side of the amps... everyone in front of them scattered. Haha. :lol:

Care was taken to match the channel settings also.

I believe it. In my experience the triple can sound stifled until the master gets nice and open like how you had it. I was surprised how the Dual sounded almost like it was punking out in the low end compared to the Triple.

After really spending some quality time A/B'ing these amps, I've personally become a fan of the Triple. Headroom is the Rectos friend.

You guys have great videos. I was more of a fan of the dual in this case because it cuts better, but in person I bet I would like the punchier feel of the triple more. The different faceplate on the triple looks great too.

HaggertysMusic said:
After really spending some quality time A/B'ing these amps, I've personally become a fan of the Triple. Headroom is the Rectos friend.

Now that both the Dual and Triple can switch to 50watts, the low volume tone is a non - issue with the Triple. If I was gigging, I'd get Triple for SURE!

i wonder why so many demos skip the ch2 modern setting. This setting dominates ch3 modern IMO and is where these amps really shine for high gain sounds

R_ADKINS80 said:
i wonder why so many demos skip the ch2 modern setting. This setting dominates ch3 modern IMO and is where these amps really shine for high gain sounds

On the new amps (2010 Reborns) channels 2 and 3 sound identical for all intents and purposes. There's really no difference in the modern mode between channel 2 and 3.

This was definitely NOT the case on three channel rectos before 2010 as there was a substantial difference in the way channel 2 and 3 were voiced.

BTW, we did make a video comparing the 2010 rectos to the previous three channel models and we demo each channel and each mode, so you can hear how the channel voicings sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJInfJSkMsI

Thanks for the video post !

It's very subtle differences in the video - but people on forums often discuss gear / tone topics that to my ears as more subtle than what I heard in the dual/triple comparison video!

For lack of a better word, in my opinion I think the triple sounds 'bigger' therefore in Michael's opinion, is better 8)

Latest posts

Back