New (used) MkIV arrived at work

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydrew

Reaction score
My new (used) MkIV arrived at work. I can't wait to get home to fire her up. I told my wife to leave me alone tonight cuz I have some knobs to tweak, and it ain't hers. :lol:

I've never had a MkIV. I've always wanted one and now's my chance.

I just thought I'd share, I'm very excited!!!

jerseydrew said:
My new (used) MkIV arrived at work. I can't wait to get home to fire her up. I told my wife to leave me alone tonight cuz I have some knobs to tweak, and it ain't hers. :lol:

i'm sure the mark IV is wonderful. but personally, i'd tweek my wife over my amp anyday. I mean there are just some things a mesa won't do.....

Schmoog said:
jerseydrew said:

i'm sure the mark IV is wonderful. but personally, i'd tweek my girlfriend over my amp anyday. I mean there are just some things a mesa won't do.....

There's a big difference, if you were married, you would know your gear is more important.

I don't think my wife would let me have a girlfriend.

Ok, all jokes aside, here's my first day opinion.

It's great. Better than I expected. I received the amp at work, so it was going to be a few hours before I could plug her in. That was fine because I spent a good half hour reading the manual. I'm glad I did. I've had other Boogies before so I'm pretty familiar already. I admit I thought I was gonna be a bit overwhelmed, but I wasn't. When I got home I was ready.

I had printed out some setting charts from the database and along with the settings that came with the manual, I was ready.

I was impressed. I started out with a great sound from the beginning. I took Mesa's advice and started tweaking without the EQ. I came up with great settings for all 3 channels. Then I kicked in the EQ. Believe it or not, I did NOT care for it. When I did the classic V shape, my sound became too bassy and to trebley. I almost set the EQ to flat.

Then I came up with a great idea. Since the footswitch has a button for Lead/EQ, I set the EQ flat, but all of the sliders up one line for a volume boost. So now I don't use the eq except for the solo. Does my description make sense?

Does anybody else use the EQ just for a volume boost? I get great sounds without the eq.

This was only the first day. I was playing a Strat. Later today I'll try a Hamer Cali with a hot humbucker.

I need to work on my R1 and R2 sounds a bit, but my lead sound is screaming!

Just wait till you get that Hamer in there. I love my Mark IV with humbuckers.

I like using the EQ for a scooped rhythm tone and a bit of a volume boost, then I remove it for leads.

You'll be blown away when you try the hums.

There's a few ways to use the EQ. Sounds like you have found one.

yeah, i'm really starting to favor the humbuckers in my ibanez SZ over the lace sensors in my strat, at least for recording.. live the strat sounds great but i just can't seem to capture it through the mics.

Platypus said:
I like using the EQ for a scooped rhythm tone and a bit of a volume boost, then I remove it for leads.

Dude how do you make the EQ get a volume boost. Everytime I use the Lead Channel by itself thats the louder one. I just want to know even though I like having the Lead by itself have a higher volume.

fpoon said:
Platypus said:

Dude how do you make the EQ get a volume boost. Everytime I use the Lead Channel by itself thats the louder one. I just want to know even though I like having the Lead by itself have a higher volume.

Raising the bars higher than the midline all around

Platypus said:
fpoon said:
Platypus said:

Raising the bars higher than the midline all around

Raise them all higher, then kick in the EQ and you'll get a volume boost.

This amp needs no pedals!

Yeah, so if you like Lead as rhythm you can still have a lead via EQ.

Russ said:
Yeah, so if you like Lead as rhythm you can still have a lead via EQ.

Exactly.

I have R1 set up pretty clean with a hint of dirt.
R2 is set up with a light overdrive
Lead channel is for ripping rhythm

Then kick on eq for volume boost solo

Back