New (used) amp decision help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tambrose

Reaction score
I'm getting back into playing after about 10 years (various reasons). I play a wide range of music (blues, pop, classic rock, hard rock, metal) and I need an amp.

When I was in a band in high school (around '87), the other guitarist had a Studio 22 that I loved. I want to get a boogie and would like to spend up to $1400 or so.

I've check out a Roadster combo, Stilletto Ace combo, Lonestar, and Express. I liked the Roadster best because of the combination of good cleans and good high gains. New is a bit out of my price range. On paper the Rect-o-verb looks pretty good and closer to my budget, but I haven't played one. I've heard that the Recto cleans are not as good as the Roadster.

I saw a used Recto for $1100 recently, but I haven't seen a used Roadster since I've been looking.

So, I'm looking for some opinions and help.

Thanks,

-tom

A used DC5 might be right up your alley.

Nice cleans and Mark IV/Rectifier type distortion channel.

If you like the 'Recto Sound", and a pretty good clean channel, the Rectoverb would be the way to go. Keep in mind it is heavy (As a majority of Mesa's gear), and it does not have the super spanky clean of say, the Mark Series or the DC. If you look on You Tube, you should get a good idea of what's going on. Another sleeper is the F-50 and the F-100. Crystal clear cleans, with a Raunchy "Mark" type gain, good all around amp if latter on you were going to add some pedals for the distortion, Great price range on the used market as well. The Nomad 55 is a pretty wicked little three channel amp with it's own personality as well. Check out as much as possible before taking the plunge, you will be thanking yourself latter.

How does the sound compare between a Roadster and a Rect-o-verb?

I know that there are not as many options on the RoV, but if the Roadster is using the diode rectifier do channels 3&4 sound like a RoV? How 'bout the clean channel?

Thanks.

I got to rail a Roadster for about 2 hours, and my thoughts are this amp is done right! Ch3 and 4 are total Dual Recto, and Ch1 and 2 are close if not better than the Lonestar. Definitely my next amp!

Latest posts

Back