New Tubes...Yay or Nay?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekzila

Reaction score
Ive been really digging my new express plus 5:50 but can it be better? I keep reading that changing the preamps tubes can really change the tone. Is it worth the 70 bucks from dougs tubes? Here is a quick pic...

DannyB_KY said:
The difference is like daylight and dark. Go get Doug's 5 tube preamp tonekit. Dont forget the balanced Phase Inverter option. Here's the link. Doug's 5 tube tonekit

Yes - but don't forget the Power tubes also.
You need both preamp & power tubes imo to get the full reward.
Doug advised TAD or SED 6L6's to me.

As has been stated many times here the dougs tube mix improves overall tones, reduces noise & makes the EQs more responsive.
More than worth $100 imo :)

Yes, Doug advised me on some Ruby's. Cant wait to check em out! Thanks for the help guys.

Although you already bought the tubes, for future reference, don't bother with a balanced phase inverter in a guitar amp ever. For all you know, the circuit might have been designed to be imbalanced, especially if it's a long tail PI. Some of the most famous amps purposefully imbalance the PI to create more harmonics. Also, matched power tubes drift over time, thus creating more imbalance. Just play, and gladly welcome the added harmonics of imbalance.

EtherealWidow said:
Although you already bought the tubes, for future reference, don't bother with a balanced phase inverter in a guitar amp ever. For all you know, the circuit might have been designed to be imbalanced, especially if it's a long tail PI. Some of the most famous amps purposefully imbalance the PI to create more harmonics. Also, matched power tubes drift over time, thus creating more imbalance. Just play, and gladly welcome the added harmonics of imbalance.
Thanks for the tips.

Newy is right. The output tubes make a huge difference. You said preamp tubes so I stayed with that.

Doug has a unique knack I guess you could say. Call him and tell him what style you play and he will guide you to the correct power tubes, also.

I could have spent years and never came up with the combo he suggested for me. He was spot on for what I wanted. Perfect. Nothing to change or roll. And I use no eq except the preset.

Oh, yeah. Congratulations on the new amp!!!

freekzila said:
Thanks for the tips.
Sure thing, man. Bottom line is, if you don't know the design of an amps phase inverter, best case scenario is temporary perfect balance in the power section which sounds boring anyway.

Back