New tubes for Mark IV-Petrucci uses...?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espmaster1

Reaction score
I want to get some new tubes for my Mark IV, from the subject I'm hinting that I like Petrucci's tone, who doesn't. And I was wondering if anyone knew what he used, or if anyone has any suggestions for a good metal tone with possibilities of a full jazzy tone for the cleans. Thanks!
I don't care much for the middle ground if that makes any difference.
Thanks guys,
Paul

The output tubes appear to be...
Inner sockets: STR440s
Outer sockets: STR447s

Not sure about the pres, but possibly stock Mesa (shuguang and EH).

IMG_0891.jpg

I really can't believe that he likes two el-34's in the power amp. I always counts on three 6l6's and ONE el-34. how crazy ain't that? :shock:

EirikBrandal said:
\ I always counts on three 6l6's and ONE el-34. how crazy ain't that? :shock:

First question:
ONE EL34? Is it in one of the inner or outer sockets?

Second question:
WHY???

Third question:
How does that sound? (if you have that one EL34 on one of the end sockets , how does it sound in class A?)

Not saying it will hurt the amp but that’s some mismatch you have going on.

the outer socket.

When I'm driving in simul-class, I almost don't recognize that I actually have an el-34 in there at all, but when I switch over to Class A, I get both el34 and 6l6. Incredible versatile, isn't it? Everything is possible, so why not.

OK, to be honest. The reason why it's in there is that one of the el34 I was using, blew, so I swapped it with the only type of tube I had left: the 6l6. I haven't cared to swap the other el34 yet, so I just let it be in there.

EirikBrandal said:
OK, to be honest. The reason why it's in there is that one of the el34 I was using, blew, so I swapped it with the only type of tube I had left: the 6l6. I haven't cared to swap the other el34 yet, so I just let it be in there.

Good answer! I like it. :D

By any chance did you check the current draw on those outer tubes EL34/6L6, just curious of those numbers?

Back