New Tubes for DC-3?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trumpus

Reaction score
Hey all,

This is my first post here. In searching, i haven't foundvery much info on the DC-3 amps, which is what i play. I'd like to retube it to improve a tone a bit. I'm looking to make the clean and OD channels a little less nasal sounding, and generally warm up and smooth out the tone a bit (make it a bit more boutique sounding).

I've been told i can replace the stock 12AX7's in the V5/V6 spots. ANy suggestions on tube brands (NOS or other) that will help to improve the stock tone ?

Up until now, all of my tube replacements have been made with cheapo EH/Sovtek tubes, so i think i'm ready to upgrade!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Brian

Hi, I own 2 DC-3's and I use RCA 12AX7A's in both and also in my Fenders.Any RCA - GE - Sylvania etc. will do. Those russian and chinese preamp tubes are the reason for that nasal,harsh tone. For Power Tubes the Mesa Tubes sound good.

I just retubed my Dual Rec with JJ's and love the sound. I'm not that familiar with DC-3's but if you got the same results I got, you would be quite pleased. Plus it's probably a more affordable route than going with NOS tubes.

www.eurotubes.com

Latest posts

Back