New to the Mesa club!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sling Blade

Reaction score
Greetings Everyone,

Just Brought home my first and only Mesa the 5:50 Express last night. This is an upgade from my starter amp a 65w crate. I am a huge Metallica fan boy and I am in the process of learning all of their most popular albums (Kill em All, Ride the Lightning Master of Puppets ...and Justice for All and of course The Black Album). I have been trying to capture their tone now for close to three years. I have used pedals and zooms and could never it get it just right. It always seemed A bit off. It has been driving me insane. Last year I bought James Hetfields signiture guitar The ESP Truckster and with that I felt it was time to get an amp to match its greatness.

The Mesa 5:50 Express has incridible cleans! I have always used a chorus pedal and I can truely say I no longer feel the need to anymore. I can not say enough about the cleans. I turned on some of Metallicas Live stuff to play along with to try to match the tone and gain levels and soon I was giggling with delight. The Mesa has that deep throated growl I have been looking for and trying to duplicate all this time. Wether I played on the Crunh channel or the burn channal it was there. While playing Lepper Messiah at times I could not tell wether it was their guitars or mine. I couldn't be happier. Now all I need to do is match the tone and I will be good to go.

When I bought this amp I had full-intentions on returning it to Lang-Music If I was not satisfied with it. At $1200 thats a no brainer. But with that said I think I will hang on to it for awhile.

Well good deal bro. You certianly are a Metallica fan if you went and bought the ESP Truckster. Really I'm impressed.

I have always wanted a Org. Jackson Rhodes, Hamer's Veron Reid, Steve Vai's Sig, one of the old JS Mirror, and the Robert Weir Acoustic. But, for some strange reason I have always bought traditional guitars. Hamer Special P-90's, Asat, & Legacy.....

Anyway, glad to hear you like you amp. I still haven't drove an hour to check one out yet. I think next weekend is the ticket as I need to go to that area anyway.... Might come home with a new amp also....

Enjoy.

Congrats on the new amp!

What other Mesa amps did Lang have in stock? I would like to drive down to see what they've got but I don't want to make the drive if they have very little in stock. One of their sales guys told me that they don't have any Stilettos in stock, as of a week or so ago, and that's the amp I really want to try.

By the way, how did the sales staff treat you?

asattwanger said:
Well good deal bro. You certianly are a Metallica fan if you went and bought the ESP Truckster. Really I'm impressed.

I have always wanted a Org. Jackson Rhodes, Hamer's Veron Reid, Steve Vai's Sig, one of the old JS Mirror, and the Robert Weir Acoustic. But, for some strange reason I have always bought traditional guitars. Hamer Special P-90's, Asat, & Legacy.....

Anyway, glad to hear you like you amp. I still haven't drove an hour to check one out yet. I think next weekend is the ticket as I need to go to that area anyway.... Might come home with a new amp also....

Enjoy.

The guy whom taught me to play has the Hamer-Slamer Explorer and it plays great. Not Much of a tone diffrence when we play together. I might pick one up some day to just have. Not anytime soon though, after the Mesa it will be a long time before I hit my wife up for anything else.

flieger67 said:
Congrats on the new amp!

What other Mesa amps did Lang have in stock? I would like to drive down to see what they've got but I don't want to make the drive if they have very little in stock. One of their sales guys told me that they don't have any Stilettos in stock, as of a week or so ago, and that's the amp I really want to try.

By the way, how did the sales staff treat you?

When you look at their store on the web site you see amps from floor to ceiling. Not the case at all. I would guess they had roughly two combos (and I bought one) and and maybe four our five heads and cabinets. The kid who helped me out was cool. But the store is not as impressive as say Samash or Guitar Center.

Glad to hear your happy with the 5:50 and its cleans. I just got an LSC and while it works, its overkill for my needs. I'm seriously considering either the 5:50 (which I can't find to play) or an LSS. I tried a 5:25 but didn't like the clean headroom (maybe due to the 10"). If the 5:50 combo is as you say, I'm gonna take back the LSC and wait.....ugh... for a 5:50 combo. Give us an update after a few days of play, if you will. I've gotta decide by Wed. Jeff

Sling Blade said:
When you look at their store on the web site you see amps from floor to ceiling. Not the case at all. I would guess they had roughly two combos (and I bought one) and and maybe four our five heads and cabinets. The kid who helped me out was cool. But the store is not as impressive as say Samash or Guitar Center.

Thanks for the heads-up. I had hoped that they'd be a well-stocked store with lots of Mesa gear but I guess that's too much to hope for.

Supposedly they are going to call me when they get a Stiletto in but that may not be until the end of the month.

Latest posts

Back