New to the Boogie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowery969

Reaction score
I was on the verge of buying a friend's Dual Caliber DC-5. But I only play at home in my mancave. 50 W might be too much for the household and neighbors.

Instead settled for a Studio Caliber DC-2 Combo. Got a good deal on Reverb. Having her cleaned out now by a friend electrician.

So. I've heard that the company was once called Mesa. Carlos Santana, I've heard, was the first to use their amps. He said, this thing really boogies. And so I've heard, the name stuck.

Looking forward to some overdriven grungy tones, a la Jerry Cantrell. I used it for about a week before I dropped her off to be cleaned. Was not disappointed.

Jason

Welcome to the forum.

How I remember it is that Randall Smith needed a proper company name for when he was buying car restoration parts as well as electronics, and Mesa Engineering was born.

I heard that Carlos Santa story from Randall Smith himself on a video interview I remember seeing years ago.

I love my Mesa’s, I can’t remember the last time I fired up the Marshall DSL. My all time favorite is the Dual Rectifier, the Roadster to be precise. That’s my desert island amp for sure.

Lately I’ve been rocking a pair of TC-100’s in a stereo rig. It’s a nice change up from the Recto.

I have a Stiletto Deuce II that I love for that hot-rodded Marshall vibe, and just recently picked up a Nomad 55 2x12 Combo as a grab and go amp.

I had a Mark III when I was a kid, Dad bought it from a pawn shop. I miss that amp.

I never did bond with the Mark V90, owned it for years hoping it would ‘break-in’, never happened. Not that it was a bad amp, far from it. It just wasn’t for me, the high gain was too hollow and brittle sounding for what I do. Great clean and edge of breakup tones.

Dom

I love my Mesa’s, I can’t remember the last time I fired up the Marshall DSL. My all time favorite is the Dual Rectifier, the Roadster to be precise. That’s my desert island amp for sure.

Growing up, I've heard great tales of the Dual Rectifier. I've looked for them since on Reverb and whatnot.

How hard is it to find a Dual Rectifier these days?

Welcome to the club!

I've played nothing but Mesas for years. My favorite one? Whichever one is powered up and plugged into! :cool:

I’ve owned seven. My first was a studio caliber 22. Mesa/Boogie is top shelf from their products to their service because their amps are all made by great people that are passionate about their craft and the musicians they serve. I recommend giving an attenuator a look for opening the amp up and letting those tubes sing at volumes suitable for use at home. You don’t need the attenuation to get good tone but it will really sing and offer more dynamic potential if the amp is being pushed.

I have been a Mesa enthusiast since 1989, Mark III Simul-Class Combo was my first. Hard to believe that was 35 years ago. I did not limit myself in power ratings. Depends on the amp, you can get some great bedroom level sounds from a 100W amp without the need of an attenuator. Depends on the amp. Some may have a multi-watt power section so that makes it easier for those in close quarters, apartments or other occupants that do not appreciate the gig level volumes.

Latest posts

Back