New to Mesa and getting freaked out!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyroad

Reaction score
Got the Recto 50 series 2... I swapped out the EL34's w/6L6's and everything was great. Today though after playing about 40 minutes it flat cutout ...no sound period. Funny thing was I could switch to my channel 1 and it was fine, channel 2 nothing...

switched it off, waited about 40 minutes and hit it again, everything is fine...30 minutes later, no channel 2.... shut it off, put the EL34's back in it thinking maybe its a bad tube??...anyway, channel 2 is there now BUT...after about 20 minutes everything starts sounding muddy and nasty...have gain but 60 cycle hum real bad and the cleans are just muddy...

Help!.......anyone know what I should check?

ibegyourpardon said:
Preamp tubes

thanks ibegyour....

you hit the nail on the head from what I am reading on the mesa boogie website. Glad its not more serious!.. 8)

whiskeyroad said:
Got the Recto 50 series 2... I swapped out the EL34's w/6L6's and everything was great. Today though after playing about 40 minutes it flat cutout ...no sound period. Funny thing was I could switch to my channel 1 and it was fine, channel 2 nothing...

switched it off, waited about 40 minutes and hit it again, everything is fine...30 minutes later, no channel 2.... shut it off, put the EL34's back in it thinking maybe its a bad tube??...anyway, channel 2 is there now BUT...after about 20 minutes everything starts sounding muddy and nasty...have gain but 60 cycle hum real bad and the cleans are just muddy...

check the tube chart, and see which position preamp tube controls channel 2, it will probably be a couple, and replace them both... easy fix, shouldnt cost you more then the price of some tubes so around 20 to 40 bucks depending on brand, just remember that you have to use mesa tubes to keep your 5 year warranty

whiskeyroad said:

check the tube chart, and see which position preamp tube controls channel 2, it will probably be a couple, and replace them both... easy fix, shouldnt cost you more then the price of some tubes so around 20 to 40 bucks depending on brand, just remember that you have to use mesa tubes to keep your 5 year warranty

Hey--do you have the footswitch plugged in? Try unplugging it and see if that keeps it from going out--

Micah said:
Hey--do you have the footswitch plugged in? Try unplugging it and see if that keeps it from going out--

Tried unplugging the footswitch and manually changing channels on the back and it didnt help. I think I have tracked it down to a bad #2 preamp 12AX7

:lol: Jay.... I noticed your Aint's symbol!....

J/K man, your guys deserve to have a good season this year.

Latest posts

Back