New to MESA. Advice on my Solo 50.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

square_one

Reaction score
I just recently FINALLY purchased my first Mesa Boogie. You probably all know what feeling I am experiencing now. The other amps I have played through for my band are:

Numerous crappy 15 watters.
Peavey Supreme Solid State Stack (SUCKED!)
Fender FM212R (100 watts, 2X12, now just reserved to bedroom amp)
Behrning Half Stack (Solid state, I hate it)

No I finally have my series one solo 50. It is in EXCELLENT condition. No scratches ANYWHERE! I am the 3rd owner. I bought it from my friend. He bought it from a guy that kept it covered all the time. There isn't even dust in the back of it or anything. Looks brand new. I paid 750 bucks for it. I am stoked!

Now my questions. Recently it had a couple problems which kind of made me angry at first. We were practicing, I started smelling something burning. My tubes were glowing blue. At this time they were like 15 months old under heavy playing conditions (my friends band). So they have a blue tint to their glow and I smelled something burning. My local repair guy said it blew some resistors and just needed new tubes. That sounds right to me. He is going to put some Sovtek EL34s in it. It had MESA EL34s in it when I guy it.

My understanding is that this is a fixed bias amp. How would you run EL34s on it then? Is there adjusting that is being done since there is no switch. Would you recommend this?

Out of the 2.5 weeks I have had my amp it has been in the shop for 1.5 weeks of it. I just want my amp back!

Thanks guys!

The resistors are being redone. My guitar mechanic (guy who fixes my guitar and amp) said he would make sure it is all done right.

It looks from what I am reading though that you can put EL34s in a series one unless you do some modding?

You are absolutely correct! Series One Solo Head has no Bias Select! Only 6L6 tubes rated for that Mesa head should be used! Looks like someone has confused your amp with other Boogies that can accept either EL34's or 6L6's! So, I would say someone besides you should be liable for any charges incurred, and I would only take the amp to a certified Mesa repair station! This guy with your amp has less knowledge of your amp than we do, and we're just a bunch of hackers on a forum! Again, if this guy is not an authorized Mesa repair dude, get it outta there, find one, have it repaired right! Good Luck bud!

6L6s sound better in Rectos. Don't get Sovteks either, there's soooo many better tubes than Sovtek. Try JJs 6L6 tubes.

No... I actually trust my repair guy very much for everything like this. He just isn't an expert at MESA BOOGIE amps. He was going to check to make sure the EL34s were even compatible with the MESA before he even put them in and stuff so it is all good.

I just called MESA. They said that most likely those EL34s were biased for that amp and so I am having 6L6s put in it.

My repair guy works on local MESAs a lot (I see them in there all the time) and he just wasn't sure how the biasing on Series Ones worked.

Don't worry, he was going to check to make sure everything worked properly before he started tinkering.

And as for the guy that put EL34s in it. I am kind of angry. Mesa said there isn't really any damage that could be done to the amp from having those in but yeah. They guy I bought the MESA from dropped the price to compensate for the 80 bucks I am spending to have it retubed and stuff.

And for the record the closest MESA repair shop is an hour away and they all want like 60 bucks just to look at the **** thing. I can't afford to do it this way and I trust Fletcher and he will back his work.

Well I'm glad everything's working out. You'll dig the 6L6's in it. Gives it a heavier sound. Looks like you need to change your signature :D Let us know what you think when it's working properly again!

-AJH

Yeah. That is sweet. I play lots of like punk rock and stuff. Sum 41, Bowling For Soup, blink-182. And then I like a lot of heavier bands too.

I like the Mesa sound for that stuff and many of my favorite artists that play that style of music use Mesa. I am sure it will sound sweet.

I can't wait to hear it since the last time I played it, it had 15 month old EL34s in an amp that should have EL34s.

Latest posts

Back