New to board, a couple questions.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unconventional

Reaction score
I recently bought one of these used
2-OneHundred-Front.gif

And I'm looking to get one of these

RectoPreampFrtSm.gif

I'm starting to get worried as people are saying the combo of these 2 aren't really good for a thrash type of tone.

The reason I'm going with this combo is that I read mesa stuff is reliable and I'm so tired of Solid state. Sounds good in the bedroom and that's it.

I'm wondering also this. I'm contemplating getting a 2x12 cab to start off with.

1. Should I get 4, 8, 16 ohm speakers
2. Should I run the speakers in stereo, meaning 2 cables from power amp,
1 to each speaker.
3. What is the best way to hook the preamp up to the power amp? I've
read through the manual a little, it's very confusing to a noob to tube
technology to me.

I'm assuming that I'd connect the modern from the preamp to the power amp?

RectoPreamp-RearInterface.jpg

Is that it? Or is the modern just a jack to use with a foot switch to switch from whatever mode you are using on the preamp channels.

I wish this stuff was not so confusing.

Any help is appreciated.

Also, say the tone is not what I wanted. Would adding a distortion pedal to the mix be a good idea or not?

Kevin

You'll want to run the "live outs" from the recto preamp to the "recto preamp" ins of the power amp. The modern 1/4" plug in the preamp runs to the modern plug in the power amp and activates that mode on the power amp when selected on the preamp. Those two will get you a great thrash type tone, plus later if you want to add different flavors you'll be able to. If I sold all my heads and went to completely rack gear, I'd keep my Quad pre and get a Recto recording preamp, then run each into one side of either a 2:100 or 2:fifty and have all my Mark and Recto sounds in a very heavy rack :wink:

Do you think this setup will be loud enough?

:lol:

Couple years ago I had a pod 2 space preamp and a 2:90.

Sounded like absolute garbage. Most likely was the line 6 :wink:

This time I'm not F'n around.

What do you think about the speaker question? I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks

that rig should work awsome. just follow that tips toneaddictjon said. also, given that the fx loop of the preamp has stereo returns i'd recommend setting up as a stereo rig so if you wanted to add a stereo effects processor you could do so very easily without reconfiguring. also you never want to run a tube power amp without a load(speaker) so if you ran in full stereo you wouldnt have to worry about how to not damage the amp while using only one channel.

and i too agree that your previous issue was because of the line6 unit if the 2:90 was running properly. the 2:90 is LOUD, and the 2:100 is about as loud from my experience.

i think youre on the right track. now go buy more gear and enjoy.

As far as the ohm's on speakers, it depends on what you want to do. If you want maximum kill everything within earshot, get 2 4x12 cabs loaded with EV's, run one off each side of the power amp and like RJ said, stereo f/x are a must with this setup to take full advantage of everything. I like 8ohm cabs, and with your setup you could run 4 8ohm cabs (2 off the 4ohm outs per side). If you're like me, and want maximum volume and tone along with portability, invest in some 1x12's with EV's in them (I have 2 currently and just bought another off ebay, but 2 will make ears bleed). I've run my 1x12 thiele and 1x12 open back against many 4x12's and I've won the volume game every time (haven't come against a 4x12 with EV's yet though).

Ok, thanks for the help guys, so if I got 2 of these

p39165b-5d814a8719d37180a4553868104225c7.jpg

And had 1 in each 1x12 cab, even though they are 8 ohms, I hook 1 each up to the 4 ohm output on the power amp?

I'm not understanding the ohm thing correctly and don't want to screw anything up. ****, those speakers are expensive. But you get what you pay for I guess. I never liked the vintage 30's much. I like my **** to be loud. So
loud that when my band starts playing out nobody in a club will be able to talk over the music. Can't stand that ****. You want to talk, stay home.

Kevin

OK, hint from a Recto Pre owner here. Do NOT rely on the fx loop in the rec pre. It's parallel and it sucks ***, the best you can get is maybe 40 per cent wet. Run your fx between the pre and the power amp (note-- a lot of pedals may not like the line level out from the rec pre; if you rely on pedals be prepared to do some shopping around.)

What I am doing is running all my post-preamp FX on one side into one cab, and the other cab dry. It seems to work really well, gives you that wet/dry mix and in a live setting no one can tell if your fx are stereo or mono anyway.

Latest posts

Back