New Stiletto owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrotherJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a Stiletto Deuce II. Being a dedicated Marshall player, it's my first venture into Mesa amps & I am really loving this thing. I play it through my 1960AV quad and can get great clean tone right through to tight heavy gain - I really haven't plugged into anything else since it's came home with me :D

I do have one question though. My amp sometimes make an odd noise from the power supply, it's not loud but it sounds like a vibration noise - almost like an inbuilt fan so to speak. If i switch over from 'bold' to 'spongy' it stops. Has anyone encountered that before?

I can't answer your technical question, however I would like to welcome you to the board, and the mesa family!! Congrats on the purchase.

I think the stiletto is a natural choice for marshall guys because of the similarities, however, <flame suit> the stiletto is one of the amps that mesa made to satisfy other people. I consider it an "entry level" amp in the sense that it's a very good amp, but it's not terribly original sounding. Like other mesas, it does a good job at what it does, but "what it does" is emulate a marshall. </flame suit>

That being said, it's still a fine instrument. I guess I am just trying to say that it is just the tip of the iceberg for mesa, they have a lot of really great tones in their products. Once you get a feel for the stiletto, give some of their other products a try. You will find a whole world of fun and useful tones.

Cheers for the welcome! :D

You're right on with the comment about it being a natural progression of amps to try if you are a Marshall player! It simply just rocks. The only thing that is going through my head when I switch the amp back onto standby to power it down is 'why did it take me so long to consider this one?' I'm so glad that I did, it sounds great and is built so well!

A quick update into my power transformer noise, I was trying to get the amp to do it earlier and found that when I was playing in the 'spongy' setting, switching over to bold caused the noise. I switched it back to spongy and the noise went away. Thinking that it was going to do it in bold again I switched it once more to test but it was ok.

Interesting thing. Does Mesa have an email for tech questions??

Hey,

I dropped an email (Time differences between countries meant i couldn't really catch them unless i woke up heaps early)

Good news is I received a reply very quickly, which suggesting the transformer mount screws and nuts might need tightening.

Checked and mine were only finger tight, so i tightened the bolts up inside the chassis which fixed the problem - the power transformer is whisper quiet now.

:D

Good to hear they got back to you quickly and it was an easy fix.

Welcome to the Board!

Enjoy your Stiletto. I hope to get into some different Mesa gear next year/increase rig size! Back pain but worth it. :mrgreen:

Cheers guys!

Possibly the fastest email back i have ever received from an amp company ever (The next day) it goes to show you they have some good guys there

Also, having the amp out of the cabinet gave me the chance to have a look at the work inside the chassis - got to say i'm really impressed with how well this thing is put together! so much better than the multi channel amps getting around :)

Brother3 you said you had to take the chasis out of the head to tighten transformer mount bolts on the output transformer. my new stiletto ace head is making a similar sound near the same area but with mine i wraped my hand around the rectifier tube and the vibrating sound seemed to diminish i'm gonna look into that

pokerrules47 said:
I can't answer your technical question, however I would like to welcome you to the board, and the mesa family!! Congrats on the purchase.

I think the stiletto is a natural choice for marshall guys because of the similarities, however, <flame suit> the stiletto is one of the amps that mesa made to satisfy other people. I consider it an "entry level" amp in the sense that it's a very good amp, but it's not terribly original sounding. Like other mesas, it does a good job at what it does, but "what it does" is emulate a marshall. </flame suit>

That being said, it's still a fine instrument. I guess I am just trying to say that it is just the tip of the iceberg for mesa, they have a lot of really great tones in their products. Once you get a feel for the stiletto, give some of their other products a try. You will find a whole world of fun and useful tones.

Good thing you put the flame suit on. What do you mean by entry level amp??? pretty good ENTRY LEVELif I do say so mayself! Granted it emulates a marshall but in my opinion sounds much better than most of the marshall's I have played.

I'm guessing he meant that it is the entry into the Mesa world if your a Marshall player

In the past I tried various Mesa's but never came home with one, the closest was the Rectoverb head. After I heard the Stiletto Deuce II, all I could remember is thinking 'I have to HAVE that!'

Hi All: I purchased a used Stiletto Ace 2X12 at GC last Sunday. I'm pretty excited though I don't get to pick it up until the expiration of the 30-day police hold they have on recently acquired used gear.. So I'm jonesing pretty bad and looking up all things Mesa Boogie on the net, and found this site. Pretty cool site. I get to pick up my Stiletto on the 12th of next month, though I was wondering... Do I have like, visitation rights ? Or maybe conjugal visits or something ? :D

Platano said:
Hi All: I purchased a used Stiletto Ace 2X12 at GC last Sunday. I'm pretty excited though I don't get to pick it up until the expiration of the 30-day police hold they have on recently acquired used gear.. So I'm jonesing pretty bad and looking up all things Mesa Boogie on the net, and found this site. Pretty cool site. I get to pick up my Stiletto on the 12th of next month, though I was wondering... Do I have like, visitation rights ? Or maybe conjugal visits or something ? :D

Post what you think when you get it ..... :D

Took me a while to post back, but it's just plain awesome and I'm loving the tone options immensely. Might look at a re-tube early next year, just to get a feel and as I have no idea how old the current tubes are. Got a Boss NS-2 to try to tame the hum and hiss with the single coil Strats. Would that improve with new tubes ?

Latest posts

Back