New Song Clip - Firewalking

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
Hey,

Here's a very small clip of a new song I wrote this morning called Firewalking! (if you get the unbearably nerdy reference in this title I'll crap myself with surprise) :p

Equip:

58 Les Paul
Dual Rec w/ JJEL34Ls
Skreddy pLADYpus Fuzz
EH Deluxe Memory Man.

On the huge F chords you can't hear the DMM too much but it's there if you listen closely, my shitty cam can't pick up just how huge the sound is but in person it's 1000000000x better!

work in progress, opinions would be helpful :)

Clip:
http://platypus.memoryfire.com/firewalking.avi

Very nice! Although I can't really hear the DMM during the A, huge F, and G part. I think I can hear it when you do the bend in the end. Even for a cam recording the sound still sounds thick and sick. Wow, I didn't mean to do that.

MetalMatt said:
Very nice! Although I can't really hear the DMM during the A, huge F, and G part. I think I can hear it when you do the bend in the end. Even for a cam recording the sound still sounds thick and sick. Wow, I didn't mean to do that.

Yeah and that bend gets cut off :p

I wish I could capture the DMM better with the cam, it's almost impossible but live it takes that really high end static sound of the fuzz and makes it like a high pitched wail, it sounds beautiful live!

Thanks for the input :)

A bit too buzzy for my tastes, but it can be hard to capture a tone with a camcorder mic.

On the video it looks like you're being beamed up into the fluorescent light above you. ;)

Haha, the amp makes the camera jitter like that :D

edit: haha.. 4 replies and 102 views.. hmm.

Thanks guys, I plan on getting some good recording equip soon, gotta pay off that Ace combo first! :oops:

Plat, I thought you have decent recording equipment? You posted clips, jams and a song with better quality before or am I getting things mixed up :oops:

MetalMatt said:
Plat, I thought you have decent recording equipment? You posted clips, jams and a song with better quality before or am I getting things mixed up :oops:

You're right, my roommate is a sound design engineer but since then has been to busy to get equipment for me to use.

I may be totally wrong, but I wonder if a mic with a reasonable frequency range plugged into a PC would sound better than that camcorder mic. I'm thinking a camcorders mic is made for capturing speech.

Mr_You said:
I may be totally wrong, but I wonder if a mic with a reasonable frequency range plugged into a PC would sound better than that camcorder mic. I'm thinking a camcorders mic is for capturing speech.

No you're right, I'm purchasing two mics soon to start recording with my laptop. The cam is a total hack right now and limits me to 30 seconds.. it totally sucks.

dude listen, you can have the BEST equipment in the world with the worlds best engineer for a room mate and it won't mean s**t if its not SET UP CORRECTLY and the music isn't arranged tastefully.

sorry to be so forward but this is what ya gotta do.

1) lower the gain- if you have too much gain your tone is muddy, note definition sucks, and AUTOMATICALLY compresses your sound which lowers overall dynamic range.
(just as a sidenote: I really have a lot of respect for anyone that played guitar BEFORE 1980 cuz there was really no such thing as 'hi gain distortion' just natural kick a** overdrive....this forced players to be accountable for everyhit and NOT use distortion as a crutch but only to color the sound NOT define it) :roll:

2.) try practicing/recording the track(any track for that matter) with a metronome because your timing is not consistent at spots. This will force you to slow down and FEEL the groove

3.) oh yeah, don't bother buggin yer room mate to borrow his SSL...dude, i've gotten kick *** crunch tones from a piece of junk Peavey Rage practice amp and a hand held mini cassette recorder....yep, thats right :shock: Good tone is ALL about understanding frequencies (basically how much bass,mid or treble something has)

3.) that first F you hold out sounds funny? something is not getting resolved in the chord? :?

other than those small things, i think your tone rocks, its got this metalic (nothing to do with the band) edginess to it that really sores. Your choice of chords is great and I love the little embellishments your arpeggiating within in the chords, really tasty. 8)

I hope ya can appreciate my honesty here. Definitly NOT trying to put myself above anybody cuz i need all the help i can get in both tone AND playing. Keep on rockin!!!

:D

Thanks for your honesty, I appreciate it. I feel I should tell you a few things however. This song was made in about 5 minutes and recorded in one take on the spot so I know the timing is kinda crappy and I was actually going for a little bit of harmonic dissonance on the F chord. :p A lot of my sound is based on using analog delay and gain together which some might view as hiding behind effects to cover sloppy chops but in reality it's actually very hard to time analog delay right so you don't hear mistakes or breakup in the groove.

It's really a shame I have no better way to present the tone because it actually has a perfect amount of gain (to my ears) without being compressed in the slightest and doesn't sound muddy at all in person.. I'm going into probably a 5 dollar microphone on a crappy camera from 2001 :\

I'm not trying to make excuses here, believe me I posted this to get feedback so thanks for making constructive criticism, but I wanted to at least try and explain why you may have heard certain things!

Latest posts

Back