New Singlr Rec - solo 50 owner!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1960LesPaul

Reaction score
Just got my first Boogie head. I never really liked these that much but I liked this one. But I think I know why I never liked them. I ALWAYS set it on modern and they always sounded brittle to me. I never got the EQ where I wanted it and was always messing with it. I LOVE the vintage mode and it can still get mean. Has anyone experienced the same thing? Also I have several cabs but most are 16ohm. Is it safe to run a 16 ohm cab in the 8 ohm jack? It also says to run 2 8 ohm cabs in both the 4 ohm jacks. What would I do if I wanted to run one 8ohm and one 16ohm together or what about two 16ohm cabs? Thanks!!

Hi:
Sorry I do not have any answers for you. I too just bought a single rectifier solo 50 head and cabinet.
It is impressive, but will take some time to get used to.

// The Professor

I found with my rectoverb combo that the modern setting was very brittle sounding until I purchased my Les Paul. I plugged it in, played it on vintage as usual, but decided to put it to modern to see how it sounded and it wasn't nearly as brittle sounding. The guitar I was using before that was a Hamer STD with EMG Zakk Wylde pups.

What kind of guitar/pup combination are you using?

Modern has a tendancy to sizzle plus you get the big volume jump. Try dialling back your gain and lowering the presence. The Modern channel is heep loads of Gain. With the gain set to noon with the volume and output at 11 is going to be plenty. On your EQ, set every thing at noon and dial from there. It's very responsive between 10 and 2. All of this is clock face settings of course.

Another hint ifor low volume playing is to drive the output and control the output with the volume. At lower volumes you can increase the gain on modern to about 1 and 2 on vintage. General rule is as you balance the output and master you should dial back the gain.

I'm also wondering if it has stock Mesa tubes. Never really liked them other than they last forever and a day, and I much prefer JJ 6L6's in the power section. Not a fan of Mesa preamp tubes either. I found them brittle in general. If this is a new amp under warranty JJ's will void it. Something to keep in mind.

A recto takes a while to get used to dialing stick with it, they are great amps.

If you download the manual from the boogie website it tells you all the cabinet hookup combonations that are safe

Welcome aboard man, the Single Rectifier solo 50 is a killer amp, truth it takes some time to get used to, and how to tweak it, but once you are there, is killer.
Like clutch71 says, try some JJ 6l6´s tubes in the power section, you will notice the diference.
Right now im selling my Single Rectifier solo head because i want a rk, but i have to say, its gonna be hard to say good bye.
Enjoy your amp man, and keep it rocking.

Latest posts

Back