New Setup. Need help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick_cor

Reaction score
Hey!!

Right now I have a Mark IV snake skin medium head with a Genz Benz G flex cabinet and a G major effects processor and I love my Mark IV to death .

But this is why I need help. I need some suggests for a setup that will give me the desired tone I want. Basically I'm after that old school Dream Theater tone.. Images And Words - example - the first lead intro of Another Day and the intro heavy intro rhythm to Pull Me Under.

Now I love the clean and Lead on the MKIV but not the rhythm 2. So I'm wondering if I should sell my mark IV head and go for a triaxis and a 50/50? but I heard the triaxis has a very compressed sound to it.

Another thought was the Quad preamp and some poweramp. Anyways please let me know! becuase I'd probably put my MKIV head up some local ad for ( Mesa Boogie Custom Mark IV medium Head -Mint condition) . Thanks in advance :wink: :p

I had the triaxs, and now have the MKIV, i think the MKIV is way better sounding IMHO. What's the problem with channel 2? I have a hard time with 2 also, but I think I'm there. Still I like 1 & 3 the best, too.

the problem I'm having with channel is that it's not high gain enough, it does my bluesy / clean fat tones but i have to use my lead as my rhythm and my lead sounds tighter then my rhythm would. Yeah I didn't really wanna pick up a triaxis anyways.

yea i'm only doing classic rock and blues, so the second channel is fine for me(still a pain to dial in) . What about a pedal in frnt of the second channel? Or Can you use the 3rd channel for your rythm and then switch in the eq for your leads on the 3 channel? I'm using the eq for a volume boost for all the channels. If your using the eq already, maybe you could rework it, and use the eq for your lead sound.

Nick_cor said:
the problem I'm having with channel is that it's not high gain enough, it does my bluesy / clean fat tones but i have to use my lead as my rhythm and my lead sounds tighter then my rhythm would. Yeah I didn't really wanna pick up a triaxis anyways.

Have you thought about using the graphic EQ to achieve different tones? I use the lead channel without EQ as a more bluesy lead, and the Lead channel with EQ as my rythm/lead for metal. Ive found with passive PUPS and messing around with the eq, i can get vastly different tones out of RHY2. Try using the 2200 slider on the eq to affect the gain, it might be what your looking for.

Basically though - Keep trying it. When i went to passives, the whole world opened up with RHY2 and many will say its the most versatile channel! Keep screwing around with it. The mark 4 is a hard beast to tame, but Ive always found the tones i needed when i looked hard enough.

Where in toronto do you live? I was born in Richmond Hills!

Howitzer said:
Nick_cor said:

Have you thought about using the graphic EQ to achieve different tones? I use the lead channel without EQ as a more bluesy lead, and the Lead channel with EQ as my rythm/lead for metal. Ive found with passive PUPS and messing around with the eq, i can get vastly different tones out of RHY2. Try using the 2200 slider on the eq to affect the gain, it might be what your looking for.

Where in toronto do you live? I was born in Richmond Hills!

Hey thanks for the reply, I wanted to use my rhythm 2 channel as my heavy dream theater like tone and the lead for a lead tone, I don't use the eq on the lead channel and when I do i get a rhythm tone, but it doenst' change that drasitcally, that's why I was thinking of picking up a quad, studio pre and a 50/50 unless there's somethign out there that can emulate the beaitufly lead of mk IV, with prestigious cleans and i can have a really good rhythm channel, like you said, it's just a learning thing, i've only based my opinoin on the settings i've tried from grailtone.com settings, i get gain on the rhythm 2 , but make no mistake it's no recitifer and NO I don't want a recitifer!

I use Rhy 2 for fat clean and bluesy tones too.
Rhy 1 for the really cean tones.

Lead with EQ for the heavy rythm work and lead without eq and some reverb for the leads.

You can use an extra graphic eq(ge 7 or so) in the effects loop for a boost if you would want that.

Latest posts

Back