New MkIIC+ in the house....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floridamike

Reaction score
Just got her home from the shop. Problem was a bad tube socket connection that had shorted out two of the old Sylvania 6l6s. He also fixed a bias cap for me. I have it running on SED EL34's and new Mesa 6l6s right now and sounds pretty good (haven't had a chance to pump it up yet). I have an old Matchless SC30 sitting to it that smokes so I look forward to tweaking the best out of her.

It has the 105 Tranny, Simul-Class and Reverb with no EQ. Mint black tolex and an EV Force speaker. I also found my old Black Shadow in the closet so I look forward to trying it as well as the V30 and Weber Alnico Blue in different combinations. Should I go ahead and grab an old EVM12l as well?

Repair cost me $117 and the guy I'm trading with also has a 5-7yr old Mesa Thiele cab he probably trade me in lieu of the repair? Any idea what kind of speaker would be in that and what one would cost used?

Sample settings? Etc. It has all of the original mesa preamp tubes which checked out as ok. Should I pop in some newer Tung Sol reissues or some old RCA's I have?

Sample settings:

Typically run Volume 1 at 5 or more
Treble around 6-7
Mids around 4-6
Bass 2 or below
Master 1 around 4
Lead Drive (gain) to your liking. I like 8
Lead Master 3-4

Pull Deep adds bottom end
Pull Brights adds brightness
Pull Shifts I have no idea.

Boogiebabies said:
Hmm, I tried to save you $ 117 bucks but NOOOOOOOO !!!!!

Pick up the Thiele if you can and Miguels settings look very smooth. :D

And I tried to get you real BBQ!! Actually, the two new 6l6s were part of that total. Got to crank it up a bit this afternoon. Sounds very good and (obviously) much better with the master up a bit. I'm usually a class A guy but I like it with the simul class on too. Ran the old Asat, the '74 hardtail, a Reverend Buckshot and the '70 Goldtop Deluxe through it but the best was the two-year-old SG classic with the Lollar P90s through an old Clark Gainster into it....just like having another channel and added a nice extra dimension to the lead channel (lead channel was set on 5 or below). Popped a reissue Tung Sol into V1 and sounds pretty smooth but I've got an old RCA 12ax7a I'm going to throw in for the helluva it. Definitely grabbing the thiele. Can't wait to mess with some speakers!

I think it's a pretty good trade. My old '67 DR is kind of a beater w' non original speaker, cord and negative feedback loop mod. That and $80 plus the repair should be enough for the C+ and the cab. He never plays dirty either and has an old MkIIB laying around (and an extra '66 DR and matching Princeton Reverb).

Thing sounds great with old big-box gainster...makes you play old BOC.....and gets a great Jackson Brown & Lindley sound.....wonder what kind of amps those guys were playing? :shock

Ahh, Lindley. He was a habitual Dumble user.

Thanks again for the BBQ, but I just found a place up the road that does eastern style. Hell, it ain't Rocky Mount but it will do. :D

Rocky Mount also has Dortches Red & White sausage! whoo hoo!

I'll try and get some pics up as this thing looks brand new.

"Ahh, Lindley. He was a habitual Dumble user."

Yeah, I know....and there a million Dumble threads on certain websites (and Dumble clones blah, blah, blah). I can nail that sound with the Gainster and this amp in about two seconds. It lights up the first channel as well. I was going from Pete Anderson to Buck Dharma to Keef to Rev. Billy. Gets a really nice Dickey/Duane sound on the clean channel with the Gainster and the vol 1. up a bit.

Latest posts

Back