New Mesa owner, tone question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, cool site.

I am using my F50 with active emg's and am having a hard time dialing in a warm full clean sound. Now I know that this is not really a rig designed for clean, but I was hoping someone might have some suggestions as to settings

Thanks!!

You bet - click the link "Mesa Boogie Amp Settings Database" near the top of the "rigs & tones" page.

M-B's are known for taking some time to dial in. The tone controls are kinda complex, and they interact. Just a small adjustment can noticeably change your sound.

Its worth the effort though.

hey randal, are you using a head or 1x12? i assume you have an 81 your trying to dial it in? when i want to warm up my clean more i run the preamp gain higher and turn the treble knob down with the presence a little more up.

if you understand the way mesas tone controls work you'll be able to find quite a bit of sounds. as it says in the manual the treble knob has the biggest impact on the tone and how the other controls work thereafter. so maybe start there and see what happens.

oh and BTW remember that the f-50 does have a pull bright feature on the green channel gain.my other guitarist didn't notice it until 6 months after he had it or so :lol:

Hi randalpinkfloyd,

I'm afraid I only use passive guitars, but I do often use a compressor as a clean boost with my F-50, so I would hope that this hotter signal might be usefully similar. Here is one of my favourite settings for a spanky Blackface tone:

(in o'clock settings)
G:9 T:1.30 M:11 B:1 R:X M:1

Also be aware that there are some gorgeous Tweed type Clean sounds to be found on the Lead channel (no Contour). Check out the Woody Clean sound clip in the link below for an idea of what I mean. :)

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=16634&highlight=piccie#16634

Big smiles,

Andy.

Thanks for your help guys.. I am using the combo version of the f50.

My pickups are the Kirk Hammett set, 2 S singles and an 81.

I'm gonna try your suggestions in a couple minutes!

81's have a built in pre amp...They will never clean up. Try a Dimebucker, Custom 5 or Dimarzio Breed. You'll be happier.

Guitarzan said:
81's have a built in pre amp...They will never clean up. Try a Dimebucker, Custom 5 or Dimarzio Breed. You'll be happier.

Cleans from a Dimebucker? my friend runs an F50 with that pickup and curses it for not having any useable clean tone!

Guitarzan said:

That's funny cuase i have guitars with both 81's and 89's(not the same guitar)and i've never had a problem with getting clean sounds from my recto.

Back