New Mesa owner here!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Escalates77

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am now an official Mesa owner. I just bought a Dual Rectifier 3 channel head off of eBay. I am very happy with it and it's definitley the amp i'm going to keep for a long time. I'm in a band and our style of music is rock/screamo/nu-metal (maybe) sound, and i was wondering if any of you have any suggestions for me about getting that sound out of this amp...i've been messing around with it for a while..so i was just wondering if anyone could help me out with getting the tone i want. Also...all the tubes that are in it are the original mesa tubes.

PS: welcome me to the boards, i'm going to be on here a lot and posting a lot ;-)

I thnk you'll find the board a great source of info and feedback. Be warned, though, it is very hard not to get tempted to buy more Mesa equipment!

I know what you're talking about. I got my first Mesa in -96 and I haven't sold one of them.
My current collection
Triaxis and 2:90
Mark III red stripe, EQ Simul class reverb
Mark IIB 60 W, EQ
Dual Rectifier, 2 channel #21x

Welcome to the BB! Please feel free to hang out and post with us often!

Check out the rigs and tones section. You might find it to be a valuable resource. There's a database in there that has user's settings.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=15&sid=fe3a67fc2c858b13c31d244190a8becd

My main settings are probably like alot of peoples, but here they are. (note: all settings are in the o'clock positions)

My Favorite is channel 2 (on a 3 channel) Vintage, or chan 2 on my T-Verb (set red to vintage):

Gain 3:00
pres 11:00
Treb 11:30
mid 10:30-11:00
bass 11:00 (lower when at a gig, usually around 9:00 - my soundman hates too many lows in a guitar).

Those settings also sound pretty brutal (a good brutal) on ch 3 Modern mode, with maybe a few more mids to cut through and even it out a bit.

Alot of it has to do with my guitar and my cabinet too.. I have a Peavey Wolfgang and a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 that seems to project a little more mids than a standard 4x12 (boogie) would. If I played through a 4x12, I'd probably bump the mids up an hour or so. Also, when I play with my backup guitar, I have to turn the gain up more since the pup's aren't as hot.

alright, thats cool..i actually play through a Marshall 4 x 12 and i use a monster speaker cable so that helps out a lot with the tightnes

Don't listen to Tele_Jas...he just likes to brag about his equipment :lol:
BTW Tele...I tried the Traynors....not bad, certainly not a Mesa but for half the price a good alternative, especially the 40 watter.
tele_jas said:
My main settings are probably like alot of peoples, but here they are. (note: all settings are in the o'clock positions)

My Favorite is channel 2 (on a 3 channel) Vintage, or chan 2 on my T-Verb (set red to vintage):

Gain 3:00
pres 11:00
Treb 11:30
mid 10:30-11:00
bass 11:00 (lower when at a gig, usually around 9:00 - my soundman hates too many lows in a guitar).

Those settings also sound pretty brutal (a good brutal) on ch 3 Modern mode, with maybe a few more mids to cut through and even it out a bit.

Alot of it has to do with my guitar and my cabinet too.. I have a Peavey Wolfgang and a Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 that seems to project a little more mids than a standard 4x12 (boogie) would. If I played through a 4x12, I'd probably bump the mids up an hour or so. Also, when I play with my backup guitar, I have to turn the gain up more since the pup's aren't as hot.

Back