New mesa Express 5 25 and 5 50 plus models

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevycat

Reaction score
So who is going to get one of these and does anyone know when they will be at stores for purchase? I have a 5 50 12-12 combo and I am wondering just how nice these new plus express models are going to be.

My timing is the WORST!!! I just bought a 5:25 about a month ago. Oh well, I can refer to mine as the "5:25 classic".

So at a very quick glance, it looks like a slightly different layout on the front panel, contour is replaced by the graphic EQ, and they added a solo button to the footswitch? The solo button is what I would really like to have. Looks like sweetwater has this one priced at $1349 - that'r right around the older model, right?

Dude... of course they get around to adding all the features I want in an Express years later. Whatever...

So at a very quick glance, it looks like a slightly different layout on the front panel, contour is replaced by the graphic EQ, and they added a solo button to the footswitch? The solo button is what I would really like to have. Looks like sweetwater has this one priced at $1349 - that'r right around the older model, right?

Now the Express looks interesting! This always happens just when I am done GASSING!
I recently picked up a Rectoverb for super cheap and it fills almost all of my band's needs. Now....I'm thinking I need a new backup amp! :lol:

For me the changes are nice but I wouldn't pay anything to upgrade my 5:50 to the plus model. I do like the solo boost.

I like the boost option alot. The GEQ is nice too!

As of late I 've been trying to simplfy things. Every bit of your kit has a tonal influence and to me it has all gotten rather complicated (which guitar, pick-up, string, amp, wattage, voicing, tube, pedal, cord, pick, etc.) I am still very comfortable with my 525 1x12 and see no reason to upgrade, I really like it's tone. That being said, I know if they were both in front of me for a similar price I would go with the 525+ :lol:

The solo boost is easy to replicate with a signal boost in the effects loop. I use a Ge-7 EQ pedal for this reason with a 5-7 db boost for leads. I do like the new features but would not buy a new one over my current model 5:50.

elvis said:
I really like the new features. If you could footswitch all 4 modes they'd have a run on the stores for it.

Maybe, but then everyone would be complaining about the shared EQ and gai controls.

A couple useful features I wouldn't mind having on the plus model is the 25w setting (on the 5:50 and the boost. I'm not sure about the 5 band eq since the previous model has the contour knob.

This may be a shallow point and maybe I'm rationalizing since I have the old model, but I do like the looks of the old one better. The logo with the wheel with wings is much smaller on the newer one because of the 5 band eq, and I really think the logo looks good. I paid extra for a custom color and grill so the looks are at least somewhat important to me at least. There's no way I'm trading in on the new one anyway since I'd lose my shirt.

I'm seriously not even tempted. After selling some gear, I'm out of pocket less than the cost of one of the new ones for an Express 5:50 1x12 AND an Express 5:25 1x10. If I didn't like them, I might want for more, but as is, I'm glad the prices were so reasonable on these. Even counting the funds I got from selling gear, I'm only about $250 above the price of a new one for both of those amps, and both of them are exactly what I need.

I hope someone finds them to solve a problem with the originals. For me, there is no problem with the originals, so I might play one of the new ones at GC, but I won't be buying one. I have exactly what I need.

Latest posts

Back