New member with Mark V problem.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been lurking hear for a while and it seems like a great forum. Thanks for having me. :D

So I picked up my new Mark V combo yesterday, and when I get it home, the reverb doesn't work at all. I called Boogie CS and they had me try new tubes, etc. but no luck. They finally said just return it to the dealer and get another one. I contacted my dealer and I am waiting to hear back from them. In the meantine, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced a similiar issue with their Mark V's. I'm trying to see if this is an isolated instance, or a wide-spread issue that may be a sign that they haven't worked all the kinks out of this new model yet. Thanks for any info.

I didn't have a reverb problem, but the rectifier tube in mine took a dump a week after I had it. I contacted MB and they immediately sent out a new one, along with a pair of power tubes as well. Works fine now.

Haven't heard any other complaints, so it's probably an isolated incident (others can chime in if they have a different experience). I'm sure it worked fine when it left Boogie...but after you put something into the hands of UPS, Fed Ex, etc...all bets are off... :mrgreen:

motorcop71 said:
Hello everyone, I've been lurking hear for a while and it seems like a great forum. Thanks for having me. :D

So I picked up my new Mark V combo yesterday, and when I get it home, the reverb doesn't work at all. I called Boogie CS and they had me try new tubes, etc. but no luck. They finally said just return it to the dealer and get another one. I contacted my dealer and I am waiting to hear back from them. In the meantine, I am wondering if anyone else has experienced a similiar issue with their Mark V's. I'm trying to see if this is an isolated instance, or a wide-spread issue that may be a sign that they haven't worked all the kinks out of this new model yet. Thanks for any info.

did you check if the wires coming from the reverb tank were in all the way? i would check that out and were you sure you changed the right preamp tube?

GIG4FUN said:
rabies said:
It's normal. Part of the "guinea pig process".

"ouch" :wink:

hey, don't tell me I didn't warn you guys. These newer Mesa amps are among the most complex in the planet.

And after the "incident" with my probable lemon stiletto II, I'm waiting for a while (no cash anyways).

rabies, I do tire of hearing about your supposed lemon of a Stiletto when you didn't even change your rectifier tubes after blowing so many fuses. You are unable to diagnose even the most basic of faults (vacuum tubes) and you use this as an excuse to badmouth a company.

Blueswede said:
I didn't have a reverb problem, but the rectifier tube in mine took a dump a week after I had it. I contacted MB and they immediately sent out a new one, along with a pair of power tubes as well. Works fine now.

My rectifier tube died after about 4 days also, just went to my dealer and they gave me a new one. Other than that, I have had no problems with my Mark V.

jdurso said:
motorcop71 said:

did you check if the wires coming from the reverb tank were in all the way? i would check that out and were you sure you changed the right preamp tube?

I've seen reverb tanks get messed up in shipping, with the springs getting unhooked. Try taking it out of the bag and see if they're not hooked on properly. It's pretty simple, and boogies use transformer driven reverbs so the voltage won't kill you. (probably not ;) )

Just an update. Mesa sent me a new reverb tank and some tubes to try, still no luck. They ended up sending me a new amp that I got today and it worked great in the store. I won't be able to put it through it's paces until the weekend. A big thanks to Matt at Matt's Music and to Barry the N.E. sales rep for Mesa Boogie. They both worked hard to make things right for me.

Well I got the new replacement amp. It was making a lot of excessive crackling and popping noises all the time. Boogie sent me a new set of tubes that I installed but the problem didn't go away. I returned the amp for a refund. Matt at Matt's Music was great and so was Barry from M/B. As much as I love Boogies, I think the MK 5 just might not be ready for prime-time yet. It's a shame. I really wanted to love this amp. :(

Sorry to hear about that. I've had mine for a couple days with no problems. I have some minor crackling every one in a while, but I am pretty sure it is do to my dirty power. I am using an ancient surge protector with lots of other things plugged in. I need to move my rig to it's own outlet.

I considered a power issue too, but it did it in my studio where I have very clean power, all over my house, as well as in the music store. My harsh sounds were very loud and almost constant.

Latest posts

Back