New member and a question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lockbody

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been lurking on here for a while now and I thought I'd finally say "Hi" plus ask a question that I can't seem to find an answer for.

First off, my name's Bob. I'm 40 and have been playing guitar about 25 years. I play Hamer guitars (lockbody on the HFC for those on that board too.) and I've owned a Mesa/Boogie amp of some kind for about eight years now. First, a two-channel Dual Rectifier, which I then traded for the MK IV combo which I have today. I also have a couple of Mk series 4x12s.

I recently bought a couple of Theiles from chedgeco here on the board so I was going to get rid of one of the 4x12s (I just can't bring myself to get rid of both of them, even though the older I get, the more I hate lugging them around :wink: ) which leads me to my question.

My white 4x12 has two different set of speakers in it. Two Celestion MC-90s in the bottom sealed section, and two Classic 50s up top.

Anybody have any info on the Classic 50s? Manufacturer, specs, general sound, etc... I've done a search on the board, but unless I missed it, I didn't find anything about them.

Thanks in advance,

Hey Bob,

Chris here... great to see you on the board. I hope the Thiele's are treating you and your back well.

I don't know anything about the Classic 50's but another place you could ask is over at "The Gear Page". Lots of knowledgeable folks over there.

Here ia a link: http://www.thegearpage.net/board

Chris... 8)

Thanks for the welcome, Chris. I told you I'd get on here one day.

I also forgot to mention the Classic 50s are also labeled as Black Shadow Classic 50.

They were made by Eminence. It's a 50 watt USA voiced speaker. They were mostly used in the lower wattage amps like the Studio 22's. The speaker combination in your 4X12 is one of several that were available at that time. Probably the most common combination was 2 EV's in the bottom and 2 MC 90's in the top. You could also get the 4X12's with 4 EV's or 4 MC 90's, and of course the combo that you have. I have never seen one with 4 Vintage 50's or mixed with a pair of EV's. However that doesn't mean it was never done.

Joey707,

Thanks for the info. Originally, the Vintage 50s were in the bottom and the MC-90s were up top, but they've been mixed up over the years as
I've played around with different configurations between the two cabs (My other cabinet is all EV, and actually, the Vintage/EV combo wasn't bad at all.).

Latest posts

Back