New Mark V, why does it sound so bad?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nickyboy said:
Keep at it you bought a great amp.I had some tube issues with my new Mark V too. It took me some trial and error to get all good tubes in all the right places but after that it is the best amp ever and have had zero issues for over a year now.
I have had 2 other Maverick and Dual Rec. with zero issues. It is unfortunate but Mesa does warranty your amp for 5 years and thier tubes for 6 months.

I usually don't respond to these because someone who says they are underwhelmed by the Mark V clearly should just buy a Marshall or other simple tube gain machines...Marshall's are great but they do that one thing and all you have to do is turn up the knobs. Not so Mesa and especially the Mark V. it is extremely versatile and diverse, like flying a helicopter really with all the options in tone. If that is not want you want you should not buy the Mark V.

Thats the thing I dont understand. When I was researching the mark V if found quite a bit of negative feedback on the amp saying that it takes to long to dial in or this or that. But the funniest thing I found were they guys complaining that they couldnt get a "marshall" tone out of the amp. Now I have nothing against marshall but if you want an amp that sounds like a marshall why not just buy a marshall. If you can afford a mark V you surely can afford a JVM or even a DSL or TSL. Same thing with guys who guy les pauls and get mad when the new ones with coil splitters wont give them authentic "strat" sounds. I just never understood the mentality of trying to get from point A to point B by first trying to get there through every other letter in the alphabet. Its pretty simple. If you want apple juice, quit squeezing oranges.

purpledc said:
Thats the thing I dont understand. When I was researching the mark V if found quite a bit of negative feedback on the amp saying that it takes to long to dial in or this or that. But the funniest thing I found were they guys complaining that they couldnt get a "marshall" tone out of the amp. Now I have nothing against marshall but if you want an amp that sounds like a marshall why not just buy a marshall. If you can afford a mark V you surely can afford a JVM or even a DSL or TSL. .
I hear you. actually though, if they want marshall tone, they should buy a splawn. they do marshall better than marshall does marshall. :wink:

OK..
I fought with the Mark V and tried tricking myself into thinking it was great.
At practice one day last week. The amp started fizzing out on Channel 1.
I immediately took the fx loop out of the equation, and unplugged from my pedals in front of the amp.

I was now going directly into the front of the amp and out to a cab.
It was still fizzing in and out pretty badly.

I tried later that night and it worked better, but still was crappy.

Long story short. I got a replacement head and sent the first one back.
The new one sounds completely different. It's what I always had expected from it.

The original amp may have only had a tube problem, but the tubes are still being covered. Rather than take it apart and risk damaging the amp. I opted for the exchange and am very happy that I did.

Brian

Latest posts

Back