New Mark V showed up today....one of its kind!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjboogie

Reaction score
I was told by my artist relations guy at Mesa that this is the first one with this finish ever. I got it to match my cabs!

Check it out!

IMG_0151.jpg

My initial sound impressions:

Channel 1: Reminded me of a blend between the LSS and LSC actually. Chimey, glassy & spanky like the LSS but not quite as much girth as the LSC. Great sounding cleans!

Channel 2: Obviously has a lot of options in there but I loved the Mark I sound....I dialed in some SUHWEET rhythm and lead tones on Ch2 right away!

Channel 3: Just tight chugging distortion with great sustain! Awesome for soloing and rhythm as well.

Very versatile indeed.......this was my first impressions with just spending about 30 minutes with it.

I played all my guitars through it.

Strat with noiseless pickups to me sounded the worst but I have been hating my noiseless pickups with every amp so far! Getting ready to swap those out for different pups.

Tele 52RI sounded so warm and round!

Les Paul was just over the top with awesomeness!!! Creamy leads! and the clean channel was warm as well!

I have a rehearsal on Thursday night and a local gig on Saturday night in a small club so that will be a decent test. In a few months I will be opening up for Tears for Fears at a local amphitheater.....so that will be my first real big gig using my personal rig.

That's all for now!

Yep...that's yummy. I like mine with a 52RI as well. Don't have an LP so
I'm not really sure what I'm missing ;)

jjboogie said:
I was told by my artist relations guy at Mesa that this is the first one with this finish ever. I got it to match my cabs!

Check it out!

IMG_0151.jpg

My initial sound impressions:

Channel 1: Reminded me of a blend between the LSS and LSC actually. Chimey, glassy & spanky like the LSS but not quite as much girth as the LSC. Great sounding cleans!

Channel 2: Obviously has a lot of options in there but I loved the Mark III sound....I dialed in some SUHWEET rhythm and lead tones on Ch2 right away!

Channel 3: Just tight chugging distortion with great sustain! Awesome for soloing and rhythm as well.

Very versatile indeed.......this was my first impressions with just spending about 30 minutes with it.

I played all my guitars through it.

Strat with noiseless pickups to me sounded the worst but I have been hating my noiseless pickups with every amp so far! Getting ready to swap those out for different pups.

Tele 52RI sounded so warm and round!

Les Paul was just over the top with awesomeness!!! Creamy leads! and the clean channel was warm as well!

I have a rehearsal on Thursday night and a local gig on Saturday night in a small club so that will be a decent test. In a few months I will be opening up for Tears for Fears at a local amphitheater.....so that will be my first real big gig using my personal rig.

That's all for now!

Mark III sound in CH2?

Def the only one I have seen like it! Very nice!

nice rig...will you place any effects in between your amp or the loop?

BTW, awesome that you are opening up for Tears For Fears! They were huge back in the late 80's. What kind of music does your band play, same genre as Tears For Fears?

gummx97 said:

BTW, awesome that you are opening up for Tears For Fears! They were huge back in the late 80's. What kind of music does your band play, same genre as Tears For Fears?

No we don't do anything close to them. I am actually kind of baffled that they would pair us up with them. The band I tour with is a hip hop band however we blend blues/funk/soul & high gain rock altogether!

We kind of have a history of being booked with artists that are radically different.

We toured with INXS, Simple Minds, Ziggy Marley, UB40 as well as have and continue to play at Folk Festivals too! Wild! But hey I'm gigging! ;)

Oh - you're THAT JJ Boogie!
i grew up LOVING Arrested D!
Awesome to see you on the board...

jjboogie said:
gummx97 said:

No we don't do anything close to them. I am actually kind of baffled that they would pair us up with them. The band I tour with is a hip hop band however we blend blues/funk/soul & high gain rock altogether!

We kind of have a history of being booked with artists that are radically different.

We toured with INXS, Simple Minds, Ziggy Marley, UB40 as well as have and continue to play at Folk Festivals too! Wild! But hey I'm gigging! ;)

No way!!! You're from Arrested Development?? Cool!!

How was the tour with INXS? Was Micheal still with them when you toured with them? How was Simple Minds live? Dont want to hijack the thread but still, that Mark V looks great.

What amps was INXS/Simple Minds, Ziggy, UB40 using live?

gummx97 said:
jjboogie said:
gummx97 said:

No way!!! You're from Arrested Development?? Cool!!

How was the tour with INXS? Was Micheal still with them when you toured with them? How was Simple Minds live? Dont want to hijack the thread but still, that Mark V looks great.

What amps was INXS/Simple Minds, Ziggy, UB40 using live?

The tour with INXS and Simple Minds was amazing! It was my first trip to Australia so that was extra special too.

It was post Michael Hutchence unfortunately but it was still amazing getting to know the guys and seeing them every night headline. It was with the new guy JD Fortune. Who did a great job actually. Simple Mind surprisingly put on a great show too.

Charles Burchill from Simple Minds is a great guitarist who had amazing tone!

Here are the amps they used.

INXS: Andrew Farriss used a Dual Rec I think....thru a 2x12 mesa cab and mainly a 335.
Tim Farriss and Kirk Pengally both played through a JCM800's and 4x12 marshall cabs(various guitars) Strats, Tokai's

Simple Minds: Charlie played through two Matchless amps in stereo off stage ABSOLUTELY CRANKED!!!!!!!!! LOUD AS HECK!!!!!!!!!!
Used a Les Paul with a Bigsby

Ziggy's Band: Ziggy played a custom Tele from a French maker (can't remember the name) thru a Fender Deluxe Reverb
Takeshi Akimoto his lead player played a strat copy thru a Hot Rod Deville various cool pedals.
Beezy Coleman the other Rhythm player played an American Strat through at Blackface Super Reverb....probably a reissue

UB40: Ali Campbell the lead singer and Rhythm guitarist played a Tele through a Line 6 head that just got fed straight to the FOH. His tone was a bit sterile and harsh to me.

And I played through two Fender Twins in stereo with a 335. I have since switched amps! ; )

Wow!! Incredible line up of amps. But I think, the Matchless amps in stereo gets the cake!!

How was the stage volume in big venues, wonder would the mesa's being cranked reach some sort of power tube saturation? That would pretty be damned loud too!

I'll be on the lookout for your posts on the Mark V's tone, road worthiness, "portability" (us struggling...er...wannabee musicians dont have roadies :roll: ), and overall setting within a mix of a full band.

I also wonder are the guitar players of those bands you mentioned, (including yourself) have formal education in music.

Thats a great finish for the five mate, you used lone star's didnt you? Which do you prefer?

gummx97 said:
Wow!! Incredible line up of amps. But I think, the Matchless amps in stereo gets the cake!!
How was the stage volume in big venues, wonder would the mesa's being cranked reach some sort of power tube saturation? That would pretty be damned loud too!

I'll be on the lookout for your posts on the Mark V's tone, road worthiness, "portability" (us struggling...er...wannabee musicians dont have roadies :roll: ), and overall setting within a mix of a full band.

I also wonder are the guitar players of those bands you mentioned, (including yourself) have formal education in music.

The Matchless had more a of a compressed woman type tone and was amazing

INXS sounds were more open transparent but their tones fit their music as well. A lot of texture going on!

Well when I toured with the Twin Reverbs I had the volume level on 6! I was loud!!! But we were playing big outdoor festivals and arenas. 6-9000 people.

Too be honest I won't be traveling with the Mark V. Most our gigs are backlined. It cost way to much to ship gear. And unfortunately since the Mark V is so new most backline companies don't own one yet. Recently I actually have been using a Triple Rec live thru a 4x12 cab and I get to crank that bad boy up quite a bit! Arrested Developments stage volume is very loud! Just on the cusp of hurting your ears! We like to feel the music! It gives us energy. When the volume is low we feel like a jazz act or something! ; )

I will be using my personal Mark V rig for local gigs with my wife's band. Hopefully soon backline companies will start carrying it though. I recently put it on our rider.

As far as education for all these guys I don't think so but am not sure.

I myself was self taught. I took one course online at Berklee and it was very cool. Would love to take more classes online there.

sted said:
Thats a great finish for the five mate, you used lone star's didnt you? Which do you prefer?

Yeah I used Lonestars on a few gigs with Arrested D. I never got to try them in stereo though. :(

I prefer the lonestars with the right guitar. I recently did a gig with a Lonestar with my strat with noiseless pickups and I hated the tone. But I hate the tone of the pickups not the amp.....gonna swap those out soon.

jjboogie said:
sted said:

Yeah I used Lonestars on a few gigs with Arrested D. I never got to try them in stereo though. :(

I prefer the lonestars with the right guitar. I recently did a gig with a Lonestar with my strat with noiseless pickups and I hated the tone. But I hate the tone of the pickups not the amp.....gonna swap those out soon.

Beautiful looking Mark V you got there! Congrats! What cabs do you own? Mind sharing some pictures of the whole rig?

Enjoy your amp!

germangallardo said:
jjboogie said:
sted said:

Beautiful looking Mark V you got there! Congrats! What cabs do you own? Mind sharing some pictures of the whole rig?

Enjoy your amp!

IMG_0155.jpg

Back