New Mark V, possible problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NomadSjr

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first post. Glad you guys are here.

I've been a triaxis player for 12 years and just got a Mark V. After spending a week getting to know the amp, I think I might have a problem on channel 3.

The manual says extreme is the most gain of the three modes and is a little quieter but on my amp this is not the case. The the Mark IV has the most gain. Extreme is the loudest but has the same gain as the IIC+ or maybe a tad less.

Is this the case for any of you or do I have a bad extreme mode?

Thanks for your help.

NomadSjr said:
The manual says extreme is the most gain of the three modes and is a little quieter but on my amp this is not the case. The the Mark IV has the most gain. Extreme is the loudest but has the same gain as the IIC+ or maybe a tad less.

Thats wrong, the Manual says that it will be louder than the other two modes.
IMO Extreme has the most gain I think, but its not as compressed as Mark IV.
To find really cool tones on extreme, I would experiment first with triode, pentode settings and add gain with the trebble and mid parameters. At least you even could and some gain and Punch with the Presence and the G-EQ.

The Extreme is the loudest. It does have the most "gain" but you may be relating that to saturation and perceived gain. The IV mode does have the most saturated sound with similiar high end content and some fatter lows than the IIC+ mode, but Extreme pushes the majority of the gain through a different frequency range than those two channels, which is why it is so punchy, fat, and darker.

Your amp is a acting like it should from your description.

Extreme mode has less "overdrive" at the same gain level. Just like IIC+ has a little less than IV.

I haven't directly compared the amp dimed, but it's hard to anyway because of the volume difference.

Extreme mode changes the poweramp and it ends up being louder.

I think your amp is fine.

Your amp is fine. 3 Xtreme is loudest, and does not have as much of the fizzy distortion you get on Mark IV setting.

Thanks everyone. I just went to my local music store and tried another Mark V head and Combo. They both sounded the same as mine so, as you all have said, this must be normal.

Thanks for your help.

Back