New Mark II, but which version???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snottyboy

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Just acquired a Mark II to go along with my Mark III. I'm trying to identify whether it is a IIA or IIB, and solicit your help. The serial number is 4463, which would indicate a IIA, but the features (The front panels read Volume, Treble, Bass, Middle, Master, Lead Drive and Master. It has "Pull Bright" on the Volume, "Pull Shift" on the Treble, and "Pull Bright" on the Master.) would indicate a IIB.

Who can tell me who I am and when I was born?

BTW, I'm a blonde with a cane grill.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

"The Mark IIB introduced an effects loop and an expanded control panel, featuring both a lead drive and a lead master dial."

http://homepage.mac.com/mesaboogie/MarkSeries.html

Mark IIA 1x12: 3000-5574 = 2575 Mark IIA
Mark IIA 1x15: B301-B549 = 249 Mark IIA
1978 to August 1980 = 2824 Mark IIA's

Mark IIB 1X12: 5575-11000 = 5426 Mark IIB
Mark IIB 1X15: B550-1100 = 550 Mark IIB
Mark IIB Series 300: K001 to K336 = 336 Series 300 Mark IIB
August 1980 to May 1983 = 5212 Mark IIB's

yours appears to be a transitional "IIAB"

Thanks for the reply acorkos. I'm wondering if this amp was originally a IIA and then updated to IIB at some point. The serial number and features do not match up.

Snottyboy said:
Hello folks,

Just acquired a Mark II to go along with my Mark III. I'm trying to identify whether it is a IIA or IIB, and solicit your help. The serial number is 4463, which would indicate a IIA, but the features (The front panels read Volume, Treble, Bass, Middle, Master, Lead Drive and Master. It has "Pull Bright" on the Volume, "Pull Shift" on the Treble, and "Pull Bright" on the Master.) would indicate a IIB.

Who can tell me who I am and when I was born?

BTW, I'm a blonde with a cane grill.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

Congrats! It's a IIa.

Why would think those controls indicate a IIB? I have an all original 79' Mark IIa head that has those same controls.

acorkos said:
"The Mark IIB introduced an effects loop and an expanded control panel, featuring both a lead drive and a lead master dial."

How could a IIa not have a lead drive and lead master? This must be a typo, no?

jonarobb, thanks for the reply. The history of the Marks article on the net indicates that these features became available for the IIB, that's why I was thinking IIB. But you have the same features on your IIA? I guess I have a IIA then!

BTW, how do you like your amp and what styles do you use it for? Any recommendations or tips you might offer? I play a wide assortment stylistically and so far, so good.

Snottyboy said:
jonarobb, thanks for the reply. The history of the Marks article on the net indicates that these features became available for the IIB, that's why I was thinking IIB. But you have the same features on your IIA? I guess I have a IIA then!

BTW, how do you like your amp and what styles do you use it for? Any recommendations or tips you might offer? I play a wide assortment stylistically and so far, so good.

Very cool! I don't use my IIa much anymore since rescuing a 77' Mark I a while back.

I've had the IIa for 15 years. Bought it from Walter Becker of Steely Dan. It's a head and it came with the matching 1x12" w/an Altec in it. I used it mostly for super clean ala Jerry Garcia. But the lead channel is just off the charts as well. From my experience with it it really shines in the clean channel. Excellent amp if you use effects on the front end because its so clean it really lets you hear what your effects are capable of.

Now you've got me curious about the Altec. I've got an EV in mine, which I like because I use the clean side mostly, too. Did yours have an EQ?

Snottyboy said:
Now you've got me curious about the Altec. I've got an EV in mine, which I like because I use the clean side mostly, too. Did yours have an EQ?

Yes, the head has EQ and Reverb.

I bought 2 different IIa's off of him. A 1x12" combo as well. I offered it on here a while ago. It sold to a board member who lives in Chicago. He's diggin' it.

Both the head and combo were sequential serial numbers. The head and extension cab that I still have are painted with an unusual thick flat black laquer. I'll post some pictures of them. It almost feels like an epoxy coating.

I like JBL's better than the Altecs. But EV, JBL and Altec are all good speakers for clean or dirty tones.

Snottyboy said:
Which JBL model is that?

The earliest Mark IIa's would have either the JBL K120 or JBL 2130 as an option from Mesa. Shortly after that Mesa stopped really pimping the JBL's but the E120-8 was an option for some time as well.

If you could find a JBL 2130 basket in any shape you should grab it and send it to Ted Weber to recone it with a good cloth surround. It's the superior match up for the early Mark series amps.

Jonarobb, thanks for all the info...I really appreciate it. I've always been curious about the Altec 417...had a couple opportunities to pick one up and never pulled the trigger. Are they not a good for cleans as the JBLs or the EV?

Snottyboy said:
Jonarobb, thanks for all the info...I really appreciate it. I've always been curious about the Altec 417...had a couple opportunities to pick one up and never pulled the trigger. Are they not a good for cleans as the JBLs or the EV?

No problem. I enjoy discussing Boogies...

With speakers I try not to subscribe to whatever is fashionable. It's important to do your homework. Frequency Range, Sensitivity, Cone structure and Material, Surround, Frame stability, etc...

You'll find that most off the shelf, so called, guitar speakers, are junk. Celestions, Eminence, Jensen Re-issues, etc..

I find the amount of coloration they provide is unacceptable. A speakers job is to reproduce sound and particularly with an amp like a Mesa Boogie, that's designed around a well voiced preamp and power section, why would you muddy it up with an inefficient speaker?

There are lots of speaker manufacturers that are making excellent drivers that don't neccessarily market them to guitar players, but through research you'll find that they are much better suited for sound reproduction in a guitar amp.

That's my long winded take on things.

As for the Altec 417 8H, great speaker but the cone and surround fatigue very easily so unless you're getting one right out of the box, you're best to just find an old blown Altec basket and have it reconed. It's absurd to look on Ebay, etc and see that folks are selling 417's for $300-$500 and the majority of them are on their last leg.

Here are some current manufactured alternatives to the norm. I've used all of these in Mesa Boogies as well as other amps and cabinets, either for my own rig own for clients...

Fane Crescendo 12MB

JBL 2204H, 2202H

Selenium 12PW5-SLF

Peavey 1201-8

Snottyboy,

Congrats on the IIA, as you can see I am also a fan. The cleans on this amp are truly amazing. They sparkle and chime and can be raw and bite. Very different amp from my III but neither is better just different. The lead channel on the IIA is cool as well. Not as smooth as the III but that's what I like about it. There are lots of different tones in the IIA. I like it because it sounds like an overdriven Fender Silverface much like Jerry Garcia used to play.

Hope you have lots of fun.

jonarobb, again thanks for sharing your take on speakers as well as naming a few for me to research. I'm always trying to learn more about tone and doing the research will be fun. If you get a chance and feel like getting into it, I would be interested to hear any opinion you have on different tubes for the IIA as well. I have a feeling you've already been through that!

carlosasi, you and I are in close company regarding our Boogies....I, too, have a Blue-stripe III. Congrats to you as well. These amps are special, for sure. I always seem to play better through them than I do through other amps. Just getting going with my IIA, but I've got a good feel for my III.

Latest posts

Back