New LSClassic...thoughts?..anyone try it?..help deciding?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
Hey all,

Long-time Boog player here, but of the older stuff like the Subways, MkIII, and my current veteran DC5/Thiele cab, so suffice it to say, I have no experience with the modern Mesa stuff. While I have been intriged with the idea of either an LSC or LSS for some time now (and have read the opinions in the archives), I was wondering what the thoughts were on the new LSC. It apparently can switch down to 10w class A, and also can be channel assigned to tube/diode rectifier. Thoughts on these or any other new features? Anyone play a new 07 LSC?? I'd like to find a used LSC or LSS, but if the new LSC is worth the extra bones??...

BTW, on a slightly different subject, I was wondering if any of you LSC and/or LSS owners think which is the better "Fender clean" (and Fender-mild-clip bluesy) amp? I have always been partial to 6L6 and 6V6 amps, so the thought of the LSS' ELs make me a bit nervous ...not a brit sound, me. I also venture into some classic/contemp rock, but nothing even approaching numetal or that heavy. FWIW, I'd like the 1-12 combo and may consider selling my Thiele cab it I can "get it all" in one package. Please help... THANKS! :)

Edward

Hi,

I am newly registered and had to respond to this! Basically I live in the UK and have been waiting patiently for my 2007 LSC to arrive since early February. I am getting 1 of the first 2 to arrive in the UK. I have not heard Class A on the LSC, only the LSS which has the different power section, but I will report back as it should be with me in the next 10 days and I've got a great outdoor gig to play in the first week - so there will be no problems turning it up :)

This will be my first mesa and I am very proud to be joining the club! I looked for months a different amps from all the manufacturers and for my blues/covers/funk work nothing touched this amp!!!

I know that this doesn't exactly answer your question right now, but i'll let you know!

D

I can help perhaps with what the LSS is (based on a couple of weeks) and some info I gleaned from Mesa in order to make my choice.

I was looking for something less powerful which would get the sound 'right' in a small venue, usually my media room (20X26). My Vibroking has a really nice sound, but I rarely get above "4" on the volume dial and without a gain stage I found myself considering a slew of pedals to look for various sounds.

The LSS has turned to be the perfect ADDITION, which is important, as many people need one amp to try and do most all things; I was merely looking for an amp to do things other than the VK. I doubt it is the Mesa that does tons of things 'right'. But, what it can do is very, very good.

So. For me beng able to get a nice break-up at low volumes and to be able to cover scads of sounds makes the $$$ I laid out well worth it.

I did contact Mesa after I ordered the LSS and spoke to a tech and asked him if I should rethink and go with the 'new' LCC and the 10 watt setting. He assured me for what I was trying to get the amp to do, the LSS was still the better choice.

Now, I find myself musing about which Mesa might provide something different from the two amps I have, so I tend to try and see how the Mark IV, the 5:50, and the Stilletto Ace are the same or different.

So, I think you cannot go wrong with either LS, and if you need a bit more volume the LSC may well be your best choice.

Best of luck!

Mountain Fever said:
Now, I find myself musing about which Mesa might provide something different from the two amps I have, so I tend to try and see how the Mark IV, the 5:50, and the Stilletto Ace are the same or different.

Best of luck!

:D :D :D I hear ya! I have a Stiletto Ace and a KMIV but I am still..as you say, musing or fusing and cussing for a 5:50 or a LSS or both! I always want to try something new.

edward said:
Hey all,

Long-time Boog player here, but of the older stuff like the Subways, MkIII, and my current veteran DC5/Thiele cab, so suffice it to say, I have no experience with the modern Mesa stuff. While I have been intriged with the idea of either an LSC or LSS for some time now (and have read the opinions in the archives), I was wondering what the thoughts were on the new LSC. It apparently can switch down to 10w class A, and also can be channel assigned to tube/diode rectifier. Thoughts on these or any other new features? Anyone play a new 07 LSC?? I'd like to find a used LSC or LSS, but if the new LSC is worth the extra bones??...

BTW, on a slightly different subject, I was wondering if any of you LSC and/or LSS owners think which is the better "Fender clean" (and Fender-mild-clip bluesy) amp? I have always been partial to 6L6 and 6V6 amps, so the thought of the LSS' ELs make me a bit nervous ...not a brit sound, me. I also venture into some classic/contemp rock, but nothing even approaching numetal or that heavy. FWIW, I'd like the 1-12 combo and may consider selling my Thiele cab it I can "get it all" in one package. Please help... THANKS! :)

Edward

Im a long time user of Mesa gear (27 years ) and I own a RK , Stiletto Deuce and have LSC on the way . I think the LSC is one of the best amps they've ever designed . As a matter of fact I think some of the more recent amps are the best in the history of Mesa . Lets face it , you cant replace the mark series amps . They were and are a milestone in the world of guitar amp production . If you are a 6L6 man I would go for the LSC . You also get the option of going to EL34s (big brother of the EL84) if you so desire

I bought a slightly used LSC last month and I LOVE it. The distortion is musical and useable across the entire band of gain. Turn the gain from 1-10 and then engage the drive switch from 1-10 as well and every singe setting has a beautiful tone. Going from a clean lead tone, to saturated "Santana-ish" violin quality stuff is all there, but the cool part is that all thing in-between are here... in spades.

The only thing I'm looking to get now is a spanking clean "snap" for comping - the LSC clean is almost too "pretty" for me ... the chimey Fender clean tone I'm getting for strumming gives my strat a thin top end. I like the unwound strings to sound fat and have some bark to them. I'm struggling to get this clean tone, but I can hear that its in there somewhere. Truthfully, channel 2 is so awesome its well worth the "search". Oh, yeah - the reverb is THE BEST.

Maury

Hey all,
I had a 212, only reason i got rid of it was it was too big for what i needed, im a very practical person. I moved on to a 1x12 special and suits my needs,
I think of the classic as Part fender twin part Mesa MK1,
if you dig either of both of those sounds,
this amp is for you.
steve

Barry,

Are you the guy that's been published on the Mesa website under user reviews? If so, your setup looks great. Good letters. Look forward to your Lonestar Classic review.

edward said:
Hey all,

Edward

Hi,

So I said I would post a review of my new LSC when I got it, and I have to say after 1 rehearsal and a gig on Friday night (outside) I am over the moon.. The sound is amazing and the break up just creamy. The only thing I have been struggling with is the bass seems really loose, but I think this just needs me to do some more playing around. I discovered that the Lace Sensor pickups were messing things up a little as they are high output, so need to keep volume around '7'.

I was using channel 2 in 50 watt mode, with the drive engaged and having loads of fun on everything from blues to Michael Jackson's Beat It, including some crazy solo fun in the middle. This amp really knows how to respond, and as someone not used to valve amps its like some kind of revelation!!!

The best review I can post is that I had 3 guitarists from the other bands playing at the gig come up to me afterwards and say they love my tone and the sound of the amp.. They didn't know me, or know that it was a new amp. I have never had that happen before.

Now if I can achieve that with a couple of hours of tinkering in the house and 1 rehearsal, I can't wait to see what happens when I invest some serious time in getting used to the controls!!!! Just gotta figure out how to stop that darned strat neck pickup sounding so wooly on channel 2!

D

D

Latest posts

Back