New guitar week!!!! Ibanez Prestige and PRS Content

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disassembled

Reaction score
Over the past few months I was really trying to like both of the parkers that I bought (Fly Classic and Nitefly V4) but in the end the comfort and tone factors drew me to desire more from my instruments. I was hesitant to buy a PRS without getting to try one extensively first, but luckily a few weeks ago I finally had that oppurtunity. After I became confident the Custom 24 would be a guitar I could play comfortably I knew I had to have one, and thus is what you see pictured. The guitar plays great and sounds absolutely wonderful. The electronics are exactly what I wanted (toggle switch and coil tap tone pot) and was just a bonus that it came stock on the guitar I found. The tone is just gorgeous acoutsically: very bright and resonant and has great balls through my mark IV head and halfback 212. The nut is not setup for the 10's that are on it so I might try some nut sauce or similar lubricant to make sure the guitar is 100% functional.

I have had a love/hate relationship with ibanez and never really thought i would be interested in them after i unloaded my refinished early 90's RG550. I never thought I would buy another floyd rose equipped guitar again, for that matter either, but I became very intrigued after reading some reviews and watching some videos on the zero resitance (ZR) bridge that uses a ball bearing instead of the ancient knife pivot design. The stock ibanez zero point return system (ZPS) also solved some common issues related to standard floyd designs. The ZR bridge also comes with a intonation tool and makes intonating the guitar a snap (if you ever intonated a regular floyd you know how much a pain it is without the proper tools). I found that the ZR trem was only available on the S series guitars and that most S guitars were made in Korea and had a huge list of complaints. I pretty much threw out the possibility of using the new S series until I read the good news about the 2008 Prestige models: 24 Frets (first ever for an S series gutiar), improved ZR bridge, Neck radius is now 430mm to match the bridge, improved pickups, string retainer removed, the neck is thicker than the korean necks (and thicker than my old RG550). Since I live in Japan I plopped right down to my local Ishibashi and took one off the rack and started jamming on it. The playability was nice even though the action was a smidgen higher than I prefer, but that is easily fixed, and the intonation was great right. My big test was going to be the bridge and how well it held the tuning after some abuse. Well I had a korg rack tuner hooked up to the guitar and after I tuned everything up I gave it hell. At first the guitar went out of tune but then I realized the D+G locks for the strings were a bit loose but after I tightened those up....the most it would go out is like 1 cent but that is after some serious abuse.

The tone of the Ibanez is much better than the Parker nitefly and I think that's due to the mahogany body and the satin finish on the body and neck. The neck is smooth as butta' and plays great. I think I want to throw a humbucker sized single in the neck but the bridge pickup is pretty ballsy as is. The ibanez is a great all around instrument that I can go insane with on the bridge but fully expect it to come back to tune once I am done. The ZPS system works great on keeping the bridge stable during bends and tuning changes but it does stop the bridge from being able to do some Steve Vai like flutters; I think this is a good trade off though.

Enough talking! Here are some beauty shots (warning: I am not an avid photographer nor do I own good equipment)

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2563.jpg

IMG_2567.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

IMG_2573.jpg

IMG_2580.jpg

IMG_2591.jpg

IMG_2592.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg

IMG_2590.jpg

Greg

Over the past few months I was really trying to like both of the parkers that I bought (Fly Classic and Nitefly V4)

What you didn't like Parkers? :shock:

Nice guitars :D I use to have an ibanez but the call of the parker was too strong.

Also that is a very nice top on the prs

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Parkers are probably the best playing mass produced guitars but I just wasn't feeling the position of my picking arm and the tone of the guitar just didn't sound right when compared to other guitars. I am also selling my nitefly because the pickups are very weak in the output department.

The Ibanez sounds pretty good but the middle single coil needs to go in favor of a more traditional sounding single. The single is really scooped and has a tone that reminds me of Steve Vai's tone in the 2+4 position on the pickup selector(not something that I am particularly fond of). I am thinking of going with a new neck pickup on the Ibanez because I really want a single coil on the neck but don't want to justify buying ANOTHER guitar just for that tone. The seymour duncan P-Rails looks intriguing or I might just plop in a cheapie guitar fetish humbucker sized P90. The satin finish on the neck and body is amazing. I really missed having a non painted neck although the neck is still a little stiff. The honeymoon stage is still in full effect but I am enjoying the weight, the playability, and the overall tone so far.

I am getting ready to become a serious Jazz player so I am thinking the PRS needs to go in favor of a good semi hollow. While I like the PRS it is a very bright guitar and reminds of a Fat Strat as far as tone goes. We'll see in a couple weeks what I decide on.

Greg

I am getting ready to become a serious Jazz player so I am thinking the PRS needs to go in favor of a good semi hollow. While I like the PRS it is a very bright guitar and reminds of a Fat Strat as far as tone goes. We'll see in a couple weeks what I decide on.
Wow you must have some strong G.A.S. to justify buying and selling so quickely :lol:

AustinK said:
Wow you must have some strong G.A.S. to justify buying and selling so quickely :lol:

Well I bought the PRS at a good price so I won't be losing money on the deal and I really haven't been using it at all. The Ibanez Prestige was bought on a whim and it turned out to be a good purchase but I do have a PRS Custom 24 from work that I will hang onto for a little while. I won't be giving up PRS completely but I just won't own one anymore (hell who cares if I own one because I get to basically keep my work's PRS for the time being).

The Ibanez was the second "expensive" guitar I bought new so I would like to be the one who breaks it in. I can always get a second hand PRS in the future if I need one for myself.

I went shopping today and found a 1982 Ibanez AS100 semihollow in great condition for about $780 so I decided to go ahead and pick that up. The old Ibanez's are highly regarded as being great instruments and this one just plays and sounds beautiful. I like being here in Japan sometimes because some of the gear is better than US stuff (IE gibson/fender) and can be had for very cheap. The best part is I actually had an opportunity to try it and see if it was for me or not before buying unlike when I buy most of the stuff from the US.

I ordered a GFS Mean 90 and a new R/W middle pickup for the Prestige Ibanez so that should round out my collection for now.

Greg

I have seen that type of guitar before. Looks like a good concept but I doubt it would win over both crowds of players (single people vs humbucker people). I prefer to have one or the other instead of trying to have it all in one.

I just spent some time with my 82 Ibanez AS100 semihollow and it just plain rocks. I can do rock, blues, and Jazz without thinking twice. The guitar is very aesthetically pleasing which is surprising since it's 26 years old. If the PRS doesn't sell for my asking price I will just hang onto it for now.

Greg

Hey very nice S man. The Japanese made S's are long overdue and 24 frets.. gimme a break. Did you know their excuse for putting 22 frets on the S was that the pickup wouldn't be in the sweet spot if they used 24? Did anyone notice the gap between the end of the fretboard on the 22 fret guitars had just enough space for 24 frets without hitting the pickup? anyhow ranting aside i'm a huge ibanez fan. The mahogany on that S is so appealing man. I'm still partial to the edge's rather than the new edge pro's and the ZR but ZR is a good idea. I really like the pop in bars though... I know they get loose but a little clear nail polish under the bushings and they're tighter than new and last a lot longer before needing a replacement of polish. anyway man beautiful S like I said. Love it!

By the way, did you notice when playing the Parkers that the upper horn sticks backwards into your chest? I always thought that was odd... They dont seem like my kind of guitar... Finish is neat though that checkerboard texture from the graphite or carbon fiber skin.

disassembled said:
I have seen that type of guitar before. Looks like a good concept but I doubt it would win over both crowds of players (single people vs humbucker people). I prefer to have one or the other instead of trying to have it all in one.

That part (marrying single AND humbucker people) is sort of working (there are both on the guitar, in places where you're supposed to find them). The trouble is the woods. They just don't marry. Alder (or poplar) vs mahagony (w/maple top here and there). Maple neck & fretboard help cheating to the Strat side. Ah, if one could have pluggable necks. Plug'n'play.

mikeymike said:
Hey very nice S man. The Japanese made S's are long overdue and 24 frets.. gimme a break. Did you know their excuse for putting 22 frets on the S was that the pickup wouldn't be in the sweet spot if they used 24? Did anyone notice the gap between the end of the fretboard on the 22 fret guitars had just enough space for 24 frets without hitting the pickup? anyhow ranting aside i'm a huge ibanez fan. The mahogany on that S is so appealing man. I'm still partial to the edge's rather than the new edge pro's and the ZR but ZR is a good idea. I really like the pop in bars though... I know they get loose but a little clear nail polish under the bushings and they're tighter than new and last a lot longer before needing a replacement of polish. anyway man beautiful S like I said. Love it!

By the way, did you notice when playing the Parkers that the upper horn sticks backwards into your chest? I always thought that was odd... They dont seem like my kind of guitar... Finish is neat though that checkerboard texture from the graphite or carbon fiber skin.

Thanks for the comments on the S. I really think Ibanez has a winner with the ZR2 and ZPS3 that are installed on the 5470. The new Edge is supposed to be a hybrid of the ZR and the old Edge bridge but I guess time will tell how well they work out for pro's.

The parkers didn't bother me with their upper horn poking my chest but it was always a bit annoying if i was slouching. While standing the horn didn't hit me at all so in that situation it didn't make a bit of a difference. I tried to like both guitars and will always recommend them to people looking for the best playing guitar but the tone wasn't there and neither was it the most comfortable guitar I've owned. I think both parkers played better than anything I've owned but the PRS and the Ibanez AS100 are a close second and third. The only way to really evaluate something is to spend lots of time and try many different situations to see if it can work for me.

The Ibanez S will be getting new neck and middle pickups so I will see how much they transform it into more of a SSH strat type guitar. I really don't want to get a strat type guitar but if I do I am pretty sure it will be a vintage Japanese one (Tokai, Shecter, etc) that has a rep for being a real winner.

Greg

Nice S5470. A lot of us Ibanez fans are really happy that they've started making S models like they used to again: with a fast neck/Wizard I. That guitar is pure class, and I love the ZR trem. A little less range of motion than a knife edged trem, but the benefits of the ball bearings and the ZPS are amazing. I don't normally like the 2003 and later Korean S guitars, but I kept one just because of the ZR trem.

Dersu Uzala said:
disassembled said:

That part (marrying single AND humbucker people) is sort of working (there are both on the guitar, in places where you're supposed to find them). The trouble is the woods. They just don't marry. Alder (or poplar) vs mahagony (w/maple top here and there). Maple neck & fretboard help cheating to the Strat side. Ah, if one could have pluggable necks. Plug'n'play.

In a situation where I would need both the best thing for a gigging musician would probably be something like a Variax with an XT Live even though i am not a fan of Line 6 in general. We had a local country band use one and it sounded great the whole gig. He didn't use much more than the strat and tele models but they both were on point and complimented the music in a positive way.

I have never used the Variax so I can't say how it sounds but I imagine I could find a few useful tones in there.

Greg

Back