New Found Love for my DC-10!!!!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using my Mark IV A for a few months now. I've been able to get some pretty good tones out of it, using my PRS Custom 22.

I tried this guitar with my DC-10 and was unimpressed.

Then, I re-wired the guitar and got rid of the rotary switch.

I also swapped several of the Mesa preamp tubes for JJ's in the DC-10.

I tried the DC again yesterday at band practice and it absolutely rocked.

I put it up against the Mark IV and here is what I found:

Mark IV:
Cleans - are very clear and sparkly, almost as nice as my Blue Angel or Pro Reverb
Reverb - not bad, but not great. Seems to be lack-luster and unpresent at times
R2 - I could definitely live without this channel. Good crunch, but hardly any sustain.
Lead - Very sick amounts of distortion and sustain, very fat tone.

DC-10:
Cleans - not as sparkly as the IV, but more full and more sustain. Overdrives more easily and smoothly than the IV.
Reverb - more present than the IV, not as good as my Pro Reverb though
Lead - More trebly than the IV, great sustain and tone though.

Overall, I think I prefer my DC-10 more than the IV. It's much easier to dial in a great tone, the footswitch is much smaller, and it seems to sound pretty much the same each time I use it. The IV seems too un-stable tone wise. Everytime I use it, the tone is slightly (sometimes drastically) different. I use the same guitar, cords, picks, etc. each time.

Anybody else have this opinion? Or, am I simply too impatient with the IV?

I think the IV will go up for sale really soon.

Before you sell your MK IV have you tried tube swaps:Different brand 6L6's, 6V6's , EL 34's, different preamp tubes? Have you tried different brand preamp tubes? How about preamp tube swaps in the DC 10? I do own both MK IV & DC 10 amps, but I found that both can be optimized for different applications without having to decide which one to keep.

I have tried different tubes, and the results were very impressive.

I really like the Mark IV, but I just don't think it's the right amp for me. I don't really get to play much because I have small children, so for me, an amp that is basically "Plug - & - Play," is the best choice. I also need to thin the herd so to speak. I don't need 10 amps. I would like to narrow it down to 3 great ones that cover all of the bases that I need covered.

Thanks for the advice though.

What power tubes are you using in the DC-10? I need to retube mine and am looking for suggestions. Thanks

I'm using JJ 6L6's, but I also installed a bias pot. This way, I can use any tubes that I want.

I even tried it with 6V6's for a while. I might try it again soon, just to see. I'm using a different guitar now so who knows.

I was thinking about either SED, Svetlana or JJ tubes. Any experience with the SED or Svetlana?

FWIW, I have old Svets in my DC5 ...like them a lot. Tight bottom and rich in harmonics.

Edward

Nice! I am wondering which one's to order. They offer soft medium and hard. I guess the soft break up sooner. I have green coded STR440's in there now. Any ideas?

any pics of the mark 4? how much will you be selling it for? what year is it? i'm not too familiar with the A designation, can you tell me what that means? :) I want a mark 4 or a DC-10 i've been looking at them for a while now.

I'm using JJ's w/bias pots also in my DC 10 combo, my DC 10 head has EH Tubes. But I'm using a mixture of Boogie /EH/ Mullard tubes in my preamp sections.

mrmax said:
I'm using JJ's w/bias pots also in my DC 10 combo, my DC 10 head has EH Tubes. But I'm using a mixture of Boogie /EH/ Mullard tubes in my preamp sections.
Gee mrmax:

Would you think this would help?
S602.jpg

RR said:
mrmax said:
Gee mrmax:

Would you think this would help?
S602.jpg
I'm not here to ... anyway... Have a nice day. :eek:

Latest posts

Back