New Dual rec owner. Just need a lil' assistance please guys.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humbility

Reaction score
Ok here it is. I got rid of my Single recto Series 2 and I picked up a Dual recto. BRAND new. Like a late 06' model. Now the reason I did that is because I want a 3rd channel, a little more headroom, basically I didn't want to have to turn down in order to get a nice crisp growl. I found that the needed volume from the SR....basically it would get a bit muddy and thus negating the nice clear tone that I liked. Don't get me wrong...I LOVED the Single....but for fairly obvious reason I guess, I "upgraded"
Point being....I am finding it hard to get a nice clear, punchy attack from it. Dare I say the Single...."sounded better"? My guitars are in my sig at the bottom. I tried modern on both 2 and 3 and I am finding it, like I said, hard to find a nice sweet spot where I get good volume AND clear, bright attack.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Hum

Just for experimentation's sake try removing either two inner or outer power tubes, 1 rectifier tube, and half the impedance that your cab is rated for (IE if your cab is 8 ohms plug it into the 4 ohm jack). Now try to see if you can replicate the same thing you were getting on the single rec.

You will only be pushing 50 watts through the dual rec in this config but the only difference is you won't be saturating the output tranny as much so it might be what you're looking for.

Try experimenting with tube and silicon rectification as well.

Greg

One major feature that the Dual Rec has that the Single lacks is the bold/spongy switch. Have you experimented with that? It makes a significant difference in attack and punch especially at stage volume.

Set to Bold, you're taking advantage of max headroom and punchy attack. Set to spongy, it "browns" out the sound...trading punch for some vintage-style sag.

Check to make sure that you have the switch set to bold to maximize your clean headroom, and to quicken your overdrive attack.

Also, others on this board may have some suggestions about the type of rectifier tubes needed to achieve a certain attack....

Hope that helps :)

furthermore, engage the efx loop so you can control the overall volume of the amp with the front knob. set this fairly high, then adjust the channel volume knob to taste. you will find you get more tube saturation at a much lower volume.

yeah I prefer to control the output mainly because I am used to it with the single. That and I feel there more control over that lower end growl that you can really only get by pushing the power tubes harder than average. I am also a player who never really runs his gain higher than between 11- 12 o'clock. So I mean my sound is not overly saturated with gain. I heard some good things about The svetlana power tubes...I like to have a back-up anyways...so maybe I'll order some and use the stocks as spares. See if that will tighten things up a bit.
Another thing to consider that I thought of recently is that my Ibanez has a Super distortion in it. And IT is tuned to open C. Very low. That pickup is, rather, "attack"-less. Fuzzy and muddy. I will try all my others and I think I'm even gonna try one of those PRS Tremonti's that Ibanez4life keeps ravin about. You've got good taste...I trust ya buddy.

Anyways...thnx for the tips.

Hum

A couple things: I feel the 50 watt Recs exhibit a little more bounce and shimmer than their big brother counterparts! I also feel they exhibit a bit more clarity than the they're three channel cousins, (within they're capacity)! Bypassing your Effects Loop will get you a little closer! And approaching your tone controls without any pre-concieved notions will help!

I think I have felt the situation out. By its very nature, I have noticed that, like previously mentioned, the Single has a more "clearer" tone to it. No offense to the 3 channel Dual, because the difference is normally very minute and subtle....that said, the problem seems to lie with the fact that my Ibanez outfitted with the Super Distortion pick-up...had a tendency to be a bit muddy before as well. NOW that its being played through the Dual....which is again a little muddier....makes that guitar sound, basically crap to me. I plugged my Gretsch and I nearly had an orgasm. Same thing with my Jaguar. clear, bright, warm, fat, you get the idea.
Needles to say...I will be replacing that pick-up as soon as humanly possible. OR trading it for an acoustic. Which ever comes first.

Thanx again for the input guys(and/or gals)

Hum

Back